Anyone Starting Out?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i only use a filter. just have to make sure it is the right power filter for your tank size. i have one that filters 700 L/H and does the job perfectly. produces enough bubbles to break the water surface. also bear in mind some species dont like fast flowing water or alot of bubbles.

That's good to hear. I bought the air pump and afterwards wondered if I really needed it lol. As a kid me and my sisters used to keep goldfish and the air pump was always on. Having said that, I dont think we had a filter so that probably explains it. Too long ago for me to remember now.

Should I keep the light on for the normal amount of hours during the cycling process or am I wasting electricity?

(sorry if it seems like I'm asking loads of questions. This is all very new to me and I want to try and do it right)

That's good to hear. I bought the air pump and afterwards wondered if I really needed it lol. As a kid me and my sisters used to keep goldfish and the air pump was always on. Having said that, I dont think we had a filter so that probably explains it. Too long ago for me to remember now.

Should I keep the light on for the normal amount of hours during the cycling process or am I wasting electricity?

(sorry if it seems like I'm asking loads of questions. This is all very new to me and I want to try and do it right)

Keep the light off completly during a fishless cycle. Light + alot ammonia will lead to a green algea filled tank and can get out of control

if your doing a fisless cycle keep the light off as it helps with the development of the bacteria colony faster and better and prevent algae

readings before water change

right tank PH 7.0
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

left tank PH 7.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

no deaths :good:

readings before water change

right tank PH 7.0
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

left tank PH 7.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

no deaths :good:

Left tank looks good, right tank is a bit behind (or is the bioload different?)

My ammonia arrived today! :D

Thought I'd take the lid off and see what it smelt like. Remind me never to do that again :p

Just rearranged my room ready for moving my tank into its new position when I start cycling on Monday.

I've heard conflicting views on whether plants should be present in the tank during cycling. What do you guys think?

Just rearranged my room ready for moving my tank into its new position when I start cycling on Monday.

I've heard conflicting views on whether plants should be present in the tank during cycling. What do you guys think?

Plants will absorb ammonia during a fishless cycle which is what we want the filter to do to complete the cycle. Would add plants in the last wee or when done with cycle

Agree with BBA. By absorbing ammonia, plants can give you the false impression that your bacterial colonies in the filter are growing bigger than they really are.

Probably the simplest fishless cycle is just water and substrate, heater and filter with the lights off except when you are working in the tank taking measurements. A more extreme version (helpful in a room with a lot of sunlight) is a "blacked out fishless cycle" where you wrap the tank (with dark plastic bag material or cloth, being careful not to touch things that shouldn't be touched or to wick out water from the aquarium, which can happen any time you leave cloth or towels near aquarium tops.)

The problem, as mentioned is that Light + Ammonia triggers algae and fishless cycling sets up the ideal situation for this if light is present. The absorption of ammonia really only truely messes things up when your plant mass is very large, perhaps covering 70% of the substrate or more. But even when you only have a few plants in the tank, they need at least 4 hours of light a day and that will be enough to begin to trigger algae in many fishless cycling tanks. On the other hand, it can be said that we are describing ideals and there are certainly plenty of cases where people have fishless cycled with a few plants and not been overcome with algae, every tank is different.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back