Zombie Fiddler Crabs?!?!?!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fishychick77

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so i have a 20 gal terrarium, 2 firebelly toads(never bother the crabs) and 2 fiddler crabs(not anymore?) so i noticed the other day my one crab wasnt moving and i picked him up he was dead later on the same thing that day with my other one. but the next day i was feeding the toads and i see a crab... how?? i flushed them their not zombie crab? one could have molted i dont know? anyone wanna help with my zombie crab issue?

so i have a 20 gal terrarium, 2 firebelly toads(never bother the crabs) and 2 fiddler crabs(not anymore?)
These don't belong together. Fire-Bellied Toads (Bombina sp., I assume) are subtropical/temperate zone freshwater amphibians, whereas Fiddler Crabs are tropical brackish/marine largely terrestrial crustaceans. There's no overlap in their requirements, and in the same aquarium if you keep one species right, the other will be kept wrong.

so i noticed the other day my one crab wasnt moving and i picked him up he was dead later on the same thing that day with my other one. but the next day i was feeding the toads and i see a crab... how?? i flushed them their not zombie crab? one could have molted i dont know? anyone wanna help with my zombie crab issue?
Yes, Uca spp moult, and it's easy to confuse a moult with a dead crab. However, dead crabs are usually entire, whereas moults are distinctly "open", with the carapace (the shell that covers the back of the body) lifted up from the plastron (the shell that covers the underside of the body).

In any case, your long-term chances of success with this set-up are minimal. Conceivably you could build a vivarium with both a brackish water pond for the crabs to dip in and a deeper freshwater pond for the frogs to swim about in, but that would be a good deal of work. Best to separate them. Two 10-gallon tanks would seem about right, if set up correctly.

Cheers, Neale

Most reactions

Back