Zig Zag Eel Baby

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

moeberry

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Zig Zag eels that have had babies. This is the third time I know of. The first, I discovered a baby but couldn't get it isolated before it became lunch. The second time I acctually witnessed an egg come out of the female and was able to put it in the isolation tank I had purchased after the first incident. I saw some movement in the egg, but it never hatched. Yesterday when I turned on the light I saw 2 babies. They were bigger than the first on I saw. I set up the isolation tank with a little gravel and a small live plant, and this afternoon was able to capture one of them. It is now safe from the other fish, but I don't know how to take care of it until it is bigger. I looked on the net but every site I visited said that these fish don't breed in captivity. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tank info:
33 gallons
female eel is 8 years old
male eel is 3
1xkhuli loach
1xafrican dwarf frog
2xneon tetras
1xpleco
and of course 1xbaby eel about 3mm in length

Any pictures?

Fry of that size are difficult to raise without prior planning, you will need insofuria to feed them to begin with and fresh hatched brine shrimp once they are a little larger before being able to move them onto chopped bloodworm and small daphnia. You may be able to get around the problem by a feeding liquid fry food like Liquifry for the first couple of weeks before they start taking FHBS.

Good luck with it.

:hyper: i'd never expect them to breed in captivity. guess i was wrong. well apart from bbs or fhbs for that matter, you may also want to decapsulate the eggs and from there you can feed the eggs directly if its more convenient this way.

my zigzag eel had his tube out to (before i moved it to a different tank), so he obviously wanted to breed to, thats pretty cool though, always wanted to breed something no one else could LOL

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back