Zeolite ?

fat bob

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the coral like rock is called that can be used in filters ? It is used as the crusty surface gives a large surface area for the bacteria to breed upon. I am treating my tank for internal bacterial infection but treatment dosent seem to be effective and when I re read the instructions it stated that carbon an zeolite elements had to be removed from the filter. Is this zeolite ?

Is it white? If so, then most probably it IS zeolite. :D

White on the outside but black in the middle any idea if the treatments will have an adverse effect on the maturity of the zeolite bacteria ?

I think there's a product that is a mix of carbon & zeolite...may be what u have. Is this the only media you are using?
The bacteria will grow on anything, porous being better of course...but that can be had w/ a sponge or filter floss w/out the chemical properties of the above...while ur treating anyway.

What are you treating with? Do the instructions mention biological bacteria?

No the stones are in a bag with 2 blocks of dense foam 4inx3inx2in approx above and below. The medication states to remove zeolite but having never known what this stuff was it never occoured to me to take it out (feel stooopid now !).

well, seems you figured it out. ;) :)

Good luck w/ the treatmt...hope it's not too serious.

Most reactions

Back