Zebra Danio's

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

king neon

Reaction score
I have recently bought 5 zebra danio's and have noticed that one of them seems to be breathing rapidly fast... any ideas of whats causing this?

(they have been in my tank for 2 days now)

I have recently bought 5 zebra danio's and have noticed that one of them seems to be breathing rapidly fast... any ideas of whats causing this?

(they have been in my tank for 2 days now)
I know that feeling. is he moving much? and is he reactive to your movment near him? we had 6 go one after each other starting like this. we just could not save them.

check there gills too for redness we saw this soon on and also red spots around there belly. I hope this is not a similar experience. It might just be new stress. Our Pearl Gouramis were a bit off on the breathing for a few days. there fine now.

Thanks for the reply...

He moves around quite abit and sometimes is away in the corner from the shoal :S Hes usually hides when I come in but not all the time... but even if he is out and about while im there he still breathes rapidly fast. So im not to sure what to do... I guess all I can hope is that his breathing gradually slows. Well hopefully tommorow I wake up to him alive...

I was just about to go t bed when I noticed the zebra danio that had the rapid breathing has slumped him self between a rock in my tank and between my plant... hes still breathing fast and no matter how hard i tap on the glass he wont move! hes not stuck... but its like hes under a trance!!! please help and another this is... theres another fast breathing danio that keeps swimming by him!!! but the other 3 are not taking any intrest and are breathing at a average speed... I dont know what to do now!!! Please reply fast since I really need some sleep...

I really hope I dont wake up to find him dead!!

Do you have water stats that you could post?
Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite?

Has your tank been cycled?
What size is the tank?
What are all the tankmates in the tank?

Is your filter agitating the waters surface?

My tank is 90 L and yes my tanks been cycled and I woke up this mornning to find another dead :(

Nitrate: 40
Nitrite: 0.3
PH: 6.5-7.0 (its quite hard to tell but its definitley one of em)
Ammonia: 0.0-0.6 (Only had them for 2 days so its very low)

And theres no tank mates yet...

Only 4 Zebra danio's left... :(

Anyone got some sort of idea's?

Hey King Neon,

My initial thought would be that its a bit of a combination of shock / poor water.

You shouldnt have any ammonia or nitrite in your tank, your filter hasnt caught up yet.

I would do a 20-30% water change ASAP, and also add something like stress zyme from API.

Although your tank might be cycled, new fish will cause an ammonia rise. If your danios are the only fish in the tank, how was it cycled ?

Change the water, de-chlorinate the new water before adding it, try to correct temp in it too. Check your stats again and post back.

Also makes sure the water surface is being aggitated enough to provide 02.

Good luck

ok I keep an eye on all those things and carry out some more tests later on today... But I'm not to sure if a water change will stress them out :S?

it shouldnt stress them out, my danios love it when I change the water, im sure they want to be sucked up the vac :rolleyes:

You will have to change the water as part of your weekly maintenance anyway, so they need to get used to it.

Ammonia / Nitrite levels in the tank will kill the fish, its toxic to them. A water change will not kill them.

When you add new fish, how do you do that ?

Oh one of my friends was giving up the hobby and gave me his filter :)

OK - thats a good way :)

Only problem is that if the filter was out the water for any length of time the bacteria colony die. Also if you had it in your tank without fish, the bacteria dont have the ammonia to feed on and die, although that takes a while I think.

Well all I can say is do a water change asap.

Are you OK with how to do a water change ? Dont be afraid to say no either.

Yup me happy to do a water change... Thanks anyway and I shall update you later :)

oh spooky I noticed you asked me how I let my fish in... I left the bag to get to the temperture of the water then slowly let them out the bag and added some anti stress stuff.

Good stuff. Good luck.Just FYI - when you add new fish I usually put the bag in my tank, then over a period of about an hour or 2 add my water to the bag, bit by bit, until its about 70% my water, then I turn off the lights in the tank and net the new fish out and put them in, then dispose of the water, dont put it back in.Also try not to feed for about 12 hours once youve done that. :rolleyes: Let me know how you get on anyway.If you have some, I would add some Stress Zyme or melafix after you water change too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back