Zebra Danio's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You're showing VERY similar issues to our danios. Where did you buy them?

We had NO ammonia NO nitrIte and 30ppm nitrAte. our PH was about 8 though but has not effected our gourami's, RTBS or Gibbs.

the 2 dead did they have a few red spots on the under belly? We quarantined the 3rd ill one and it lasted a day then we quarintined the final 3 before they showed symptoms. (One seemed like he was thinking about slowing down) we used mela fix in our hospital tank and it showed NO effects. there gills became red (Very red) about 1 day before they died and all were breathing fast. no motion even to hand in the water the needed to almost be pushed along.

It seems to me we had a batch that were not well. it seems not to spread out side of the pack of danio's as we have no other issues at all. Disease ??? Maybe or all hated the water we have. could of been ANYTHING. Metal content I would say PH but yours is alot lower and in there prefered range.

If you manage to solve this i would be REALLY interested as we have no idea if it was a mistake on our part.

Thanks and Hope this Helps.

Alot will depend on how they are kept at the lfs. Fish get used to anything, so if they are in v poor water at the lfs, maybe a low PH, then go to somewhere with PH of 8....bingo they start dying :(

Most LFS water is crap im afraid too.

Melafix I find very good for early treatments, but not when its bad.

Maybe like you said you had a bad batch, I think its happened to most people at some time or another. :angry:

Behold and/or the OP, have either of you noticed your fish rubbing and or flicking?
Behold, did you make a thread for it? If so link please!

Ok... another one died this morning :( so now I have 3 left... But I did a water change yesterday about 50% in total...

Nitrite: 0.3
Nitrate: 30
PH: 7
Ammonia: 0

(btw my ammonia result that I posted yesterday was worng. Soz about that.)

Now theres 1 thats not breathing so fast but the other 2 are.

I just dont know what to do now :S

please help :S

Just thinking about and I think I actually did see one of them do that... but only one... I think hes one of the dead guys...

How do you mean flicking btw?
And what do you think this is?

Some form of gill parasite.
All the symptoms fit, but as you are probably aware it'd be almost impossible to prove.
On the fishes body has there been any mild change in in colouration you may not have noticed?
(thinking piscinoodinium or maybe a trematode)
Or inspect the gills extremely closely for discolouration or anything you may not have noticed.

Flicking; Sudden rapid movement of the fish, often brushing itself against an item of decor or similar in the process.

Ok I shall take a quick look now but they are very fast fish and yes I think I have caught them flicking.

Ok i'v taken a look and now and they seem to be pinkish maybe redish, but its hard to get a good look. :S
So they have parasites in their gills? How can I cure it? :S

Not neccessarily, but the symptoms do fit.
Was there any discolouration on the body? Particularly darkness/tiny black dots (trematode) or the gold-dust effect associated with oodinium? Or general cloudiness, especially of a grey tinge (mucal hyperproduction), id you mention any loss of swimming control (gill flukes)?
Its unlikely that you will be able to whittle it down without access to serious beeswax eg;
Faecal analysis, smeer tests, post-mortem.
If that is the case and your test readings are accurate and your water well-oxygenated then i'd look into anything containing formalin and keep my fingers crossed.
Good luck.

Discolouration is probably the only thing but very very barley noticeable.

So is there any brand of something to kill off these parasites?

Ok many thanks I shall take a look in my LFS and try to find something containing formalin and I shall keep you updated

I never noticed any flicking or rubbing in any of them just general laziness and shyness and then no reaction to me. just redness on gills and about 1/2 a day before death losing of colour.

You have a nitrite reading though.
If your tank is fully cycled then your nitrite and ammonia should be 0.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back