Zebra Danios

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jmkgreen

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

Wednesday I introduced 5x Zebra Danios into a completely new tank that had just completed a fishless cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites had zeroed out.

All was well until today. I had "lost" a fish. Nowhere to be seen. I tested the water, and as I was awaiting the results (again, clean), we noticed a dead fish by the filter intake (Juwel).

Took it back with some water. They (Swallow Aquatics) declared it completely clean and thus handed over a new danio; they didn't see any problems with the dead fish either. However, they weren't able to advise on this other fish that doesn't move a lot, stays close to the gravel, and doesn't appear to feed the flake that the others readily eat. It should be mentioned that this fish is not gaining growth as the others, it is clearly smaller.

I'm obviously concerned that this other fish should die too. Any advice? I have no other fish in the tank. Stress Coat is being used.

Thanks,
James

Juwel 70L 5x Zebra Danios
Ammonia: 0; Nitrite: 0; Nitrate: 25; Temp: 26C; pH: 7.6

Unfortunalty some ZD's can take the pecking order to the next level.
this results in the fish at the bottom of the order being hounded to death.
the only way of dissipating this is to increase the school.

Don't think that it is anything you have done wrong, because you havn't; it is just one of those things.
good luck for the future

Hi,im new to this site,just reading through a few threads......ive had a few danios that have just popped away for no apparent reason :/ .....ive done all the water tests and have a fully cycled tank, but i also have neon and cardinal tetras in the same tank..so surely if the water was suspect in anyway they would die first?? I would just put it down to a stressed fish.Im not greatly experienced in fishkeeping but i know the general stuff i need to know.

Blade118 said:
if u say so
[snapback]881954[/snapback]​

not just him pal
ZD's can take a pH range of 6 - 8.
I suggest that you do a bit of research befor making
sarky comments.

well the bloke at the fish shop said they are hardy fish but try and get there ph to about 7.0 max

well i only give info out what i have been told myself

jmkgreen said:
All was well until today. I had "lost" a fish. Nowhere to be seen.

I had that happen recently. I walked past the tank, and noticed there was one fish missing. I did a lot of counting, with how fast they move, it's a bugger trying to count them, and definitely one gone. No fish bits in the tank, it'd definitely been there that morning, and no little fishy body outside the tank. I did a good search, because I've had one jump before. The little bugger must have been out a good 15min before I found him and put him back in.

But yeah, when I first got mine I had a bit of violence and thuggery going on, but a couple more fish, and they all seem happy, sure, they chase each other about and tag, but no nipping or beating up. So i'd go along with the couple more fish to help the pecking order.

Most reactions

Back