Zebra Danios Whiskers

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

JackoUK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This was a question asked in the 'Tropical Chat' forum and I thought i'd ask it here because theres maybe more expertise in the area here.

Is it normal for Zebra Danios to have Whiskers either side of their mouth? If so why don't they all have them because looking at mine, I have both males and females, there only seems to be one with the whiskers.

Thankyou in advance :good:

I've heard before that males have very small whiskers. I never really looked that close at mine since they are always zipping around the tank so much.

To my knowledge, all danio species have barbles, you should the the 'moustache danio' - those are some big 'whiskers' :good:

Do both the males and females have a set of barbels or is it just the males? I've looked closely at mine again and certainly only looks like one of the six has them.

they do all have them, its just they aren't "out" all the time, if you get what i mean, i think they only really use them when looking for food, at least thats the case in my tank. one of my females is the queen of the gravel and she's always looking for food, so her barbels are nearly always visible, but the males are more often in the middle or top of the tank, so you don't see theirs' so much. i knew they had them before i saw them as the book i bought said so, but i didn't actually believe it till i saw them though!

they do all have them, its just they aren't "out" all the time, if you get what i mean, i think they only really use them when looking for food, at least thats the case in my tank. one of my females is the queen of the gravel and she's always looking for food, so her barbels are nearly always visible, but the males are more often in the middle or top of the tank, so you don't see theirs' so much. i knew they had them before i saw them as the book i bought said so, but i didn't actually believe it till i saw them though!

Ahh thanks for that. That makes sense. I've read quite a bit on the Zebra Danio but haven't come accross that before. Thanks again. :good:

Most reactions

Back