Zebra Danio Tank Mates?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys! In my 16 gallon, I only have 6 zebra danios, and to be honest, I'd like to get an interesting fish that will be compatible with them, and will be possible to breed.

I was thinking about cherry barbs, but my heart really isn't into that. I know a 16 gallon is very large, so my options are limited.....

And NO livebearers! I've had those for 3 years, and I recently gave some away. (And I still have some in my 10 gallons)

The tank has a fairly strong current, and it is fully live planted.

Thanks in advance. :fun:

-f_f!

Personally I wouldn't have danios in anything shorter than a 30" long tank. But aside from this...

How about some apistogramma cichlids?
Cockatoo Apistos or Agassiz's Apisto would both be good options.
You could get a trio of 1m 2f

Personally I wouldn't have danios in anything shorter than a 30" long tank. But aside from this...

How about some apistogramma cichlids?
Cockatoo Apistos or Agassiz's Apisto would both be good options.
You could get a trio of 1m 2f

..... I guess your right, but they seem perfectly happy in 24 inches long of tank.

Would there be any kind of bottom feeder I could get, too? I love bottom feeders, but most get too large for a 16 gallon.... :sad:

Thanks! :good:

im fairly certain that zebra danios like cooler water, when i raised the tank temp to 82 degrees to get rid of ich, they all got stressed then got diseases and died, but i doubt you keep your water at 82 degrees, just remember not to get fish that like really warm water

Thanks, yeah, I keep them at 78F. They seem to do fine. They must be at least a year or so old now, and they spawn all the time, I just have trouble saving the eggs. I have only managed to raise one fry to an adult.

How about White Cloud Mountain Minnows ([font="Verdana][size="2"]Tanichthys albonubes)?[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]They would thrive in a strong water flow and will breed freely in a community tank.[/size][/font]

The Danio's will probably eat all their eggs though...

For a "bottom feeder", but also a fish that spends some time in mid-water, the Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis) would fit in well. It, too, likes a strong current.

WCMM's and the Hillstreams also work well in cooler water so you could drop your Tank temperature down to around 22/23ºC (72ºF) and the Zebra's would easily adapt and save you some cash.

NB: It is advised that both these fishes be kept in shoals of at least 5/6 members, each, but that would be perfect for your stocking requirement as neither of these species is large at around 4cms and 6cms, respectively. (Assuming you have a long, rather than tall, 16Gal Tank).[/size][/font]

How about White Cloud Mountain Minnows ([font="Verdana][size="2"]Tanichthys albonubes)?[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]They would thrive in a strong water flow and will breed freely in a community tank.[/size][/font]

The Danio's will probably eat all their eggs though...

For a "bottom feeder", but also a fish that spends some time in mid-water, the Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis) would fit in well. It, too, likes a strong current.

WCMM's and the Hillstreams also work well in cooler water so you could drop your Tank temperature down to around 22/23ºC (72ºF) and the Zebra's would easily adapt and save you some cash.

NB: It is advised that both these fishes be kept in shoals of at least 5/6 members, each, but that would be perfect for your stocking requirement as neither of these species is large at around 4cms and 6cms, respectively. (Assuming you have a long, rather than tall, 16Gal Tank).[/size][/font]
Thanks for the info! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back