Zebra Danio Problems!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cloudy

Reaction score
Hi all,

We purchased our first 2 fish yesterday 2 Zebra Danios. They seem to be fine zooming about like crazy and seem to be settled in nicely, but after watching them for most of the day I noticed that 1 of them seems to be charging at the other one (looks like the other one is trying to always get away from it) I've had a close look at them and doesn’t seem to be any signs of nipping on there fins or body but it just doesn’t look nice to watch the other one always trying to get away! I'm not sure if this is normal for this type of fish or not and am unsure of what to do? as i don't want my tank to mess up and have to start the whole cycle again because it took almost 9 weeks to get right!

Any advice would be great :unsure:

Hi, danios should be in groups of 6 + this will stop this, if you have the space add more. :good:

what is your tank size and how long has it been set up.
the problems you are having is normal.
and you do need to increase your group to 6
and this will even out the aggression etc

what is your tank size and how long has it been set up.
the problems you are having is normal.
and you do need to increase your group to 6
and this will even out the aggression etc
Its 30L and has been cycling for about 9 weeks, the danios was put in yesterday.

The Mother-In-Law has one of these and that is also very vicious, she has got it in a seperate tank now untill she can get some more, she did have a few of them but the tank got over run with a virus of some sort and it wiped the others out... This one is fine and so are her guppies and swordtails but she is defo planning on getting some more.

I would say take the ones you have back if possible and get something else thats suitable for your tank.

I've got 6 zebra danios and they are on the go all day, chasing eachother, weaving in and out of plants and wood. I think 30L in my opinion is way to small for a group of 6.

i would also suggest rehoming them
crazy.gif
maybe you could consider some smaller fish like a nice group of tetras (ember)? or small rasboras (espei)?

I would keep them not only because they are a pretty hardy fish for newly cycled and cycling tanks but they also add plenty of movement and interest. Just up the numbers to a group fo 6 so the chasing is more evenly spread! This is what Zebra Danisos do - they chase each other all day long zipping around putting lots of movement in your tank. They dont hurt each other just love to chase - could even be that you have a male chasing a female! Females have more creamy coloured stripes and a rounded body whereas males have yellow stripes and a more slimline body.

Most reactions

trending

Back