Zebra D. Breeding Questions Concerning Ph Adjustment

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

doktor doris

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hullo all,

I have 4 zebra Ds and one of them is huuuge. I have done some research and apparantly now she is stuffed with eggs I should put her and 2 potential swains in a smaller tank which is lined with marbles.
Then I have read I should reduce the pH to 6.6 to 6.8. My tap water hovers around 7.1 to 7.3 pH.

What I want to know is, would it be okay to use the phosphoric acid for this that I use to reduce the pH of my water before I water my orchids?

I got the acid in a kit which included the phosphoric acid, potassium hydroxide, and a pH testing kit. I take great care of my plants you see.

I would also like to know would it be ojay to use the potassium hydroxide to make my water more basic for my Mbuna?

Thanks alot

doris

Your pH is fine for breeding danios you do not need to alter the pH also you dont want to drop the pH for mbuna in fact they want harder water.

The simply way to breed them is to seperate the female from the males and feed them all up for 10 days with lots of live foods.
Then set up the fresh tank and have the water 5-10F lower than the fish are then simply put the fish all together.

The new interaction from the males should stimulate her into spawning with in hours.

I've done this many time in the past.

Your pH is fine for breeding danios you do not need to alter the pH also you dont want to drop the pH for mbuna in fact they want harder water.

The simply way to breed them is to seperate the female from the males and feed them all up for 10 days with lots of live foods.
Then set up the fresh tank and have the water 5-10F lower than the fish are then simply put the fish all together.

The new interaction from the males should stimulate her into spawning with in hours.

I've done this many time in the past.

Thanks for the ZD info.

But Iam afraid you didnt read my Mbuna question correctly.

Iam well aware that Mbuna like hard water, but I didn't bring water hardness into the question, as I know my tapwater has high KH and GH.

I said would it be okay to use my plants chemicals to make the water more basic, as I know the water in Lake Mbuna is jolly basic.

I don't know where you got the idea that I wanted to lower the pH from, but as I said thanks anyway.

doris

Sorry,

I just re-read my last post and it read as though I was being rude.

I didn't mean that at all.

In fact perhaps you could help me again if you have bred ZDs, where can I get cheap marbles online?

ta,

doris

Oh, I got my ZD breeding info from here -
http://breedtropicalfish.blogspot.com/2007...-zebrafish.html

If their ZD pH info is nonsense, is the rest of what they say correct? Ta

Most reactions

Back