Yoyos and Barbs Eating Veggies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I haven't had any aggression at all, and they are often recommended as a community fish. He patrolls the tank and occasionally steals a piece of food from a tetra. Certainly no fin nipping. I could see not having too many in a small tank, or not with other bottom dwellers in a small tank, but I wouldn't tell someone they are species only.
I'm sorry I should have said Bolivian rams do not like company of other Bolivian rams and a group of bolivian rams are not reocmmended. There are other cichlid which are more tolerable of friends of the same species.

Yes. the males of all species of cichlid are territorial, to varying degrees depending upon species and individual fish. Same holds for gourami species. And a lot of other fish.
Am I mistaken saying that most, even all territorial species thrive better in species tank ?

Am I mistaken saying that most, even all territorial species thrive better in species tank ?

I'm not certain I understand this. If you mean that by virtue of being territorial, a species like the Bolivian Ram should be in a species tank with no other fish species, no, I am not saying that.

Last edited:
I only asked a question, not saying you were saying that.

I only asked a question, not saying you were saying that.

The languages are getting us mixed up again. You asked a question and I figured it was being asked in the context of my previous posts about cichlids being territorial, but I was not implying species tank. Not sure this makes it any clearer...

Then I sugest eeny meeny miny moe, take the t̶i̶g̶e̶r question by the t̶o̶e ???? err...

So, update on my fish eating veggies. I had zucchini, cucumber, butternut squash, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. it turns out that broccoli was a clear winner! Well, the tips of the broccoli. The lettuce and zucchini were about tied for 2nd.
The skewers also make it very easy to feed my puffers! I just let the veg sit in the snail tank for a bit, then lift it out and shake the snails into the puffer tank. In stand feast!

Hi :)
What puffer species ?
What skewers ?
I bought these bamboo skewers and use it to feed my fish.They were for kabobs and outdoor cooking. A 12 pack for $0.88, at Walmart. The skewers are about 2 feet long, and it makes it easy to put veggies in the tank and take them out when they turn.

I have 2 pea puffers in a 15 gallon, and 3 figure 8 puffers in a 25 gallon.

I bought these bamboo skewers and use it to feed my fish
Ok I see what you mean.

I have 2 pea puffers in a 15 gallon, and 3 figure 8 puffers in a 25 gallon.
That doesn't mean they are doing well.

That doesn't mean they are doing well
In what way are they not doing well? They do get fed bloodworms every other day, and seem to enjoy snail hunting. They had a buddy, but it ended up dying.

In what way are they not doing well? They do get fed bloodworms every other day, and seem to enjoy snail hunting. They had a buddy, but it ended up dying.
Ask @Byron to explain you that "what seems to be is not what is real".

Ask @Byron to explain you that "what seems to be is not what is real".
I was more wondering what I could specifically change about my set up to make them more comfortable, since you seem to have spotted something that stands out. I understand that things are not always what they seem, especially with fish.

I was more wondering what I could specifically change about my set up to make them more comfortable, since you seem to have spotted something that stands out. I understand that things are not always what they seem, especially with fish.
It is very hard to know if something doesn't run smoothly. Reason why I emphasize strongly on respect of parameters, biotop, swimming and shoaling/schooling behaviors, I seek tank sizes, etc etc.
I know very few understand and believe me when I say that stress leads to diseases...
I also know in 90% of cases it's not heeded.

To me, from what I can see, your tank really lacks plants, substrate isn't suitable for bottom feeders/dwellers.

It is very hard to know if something doesn't run smoothly. Reason why I emphasize strongly on respect of parameters, biotop, swimming and shoaling/schooling behaviors, I seek tank sizes, etc etc.
I know very few understand and believe me when I say that stress leads to diseases...
I also know in 90% of cases it's not heeded.

To me, from what I can see, your tank really lacks plants, substrate isn't suitable for bottom feeders/dwellers.
I understand that a stressed fish easily turns into a sick fish.
The only tank without sand, is my snail breeding tank. I would appreciate an expansion on "not set up for bottom dwellers". As far as plants go, yes I have been meaning to get more substrate plants for the 55. (Is this the tank you are referring to?) At the moment there are too many flaoting plants for the substrate plants I have to really flourish. Each species here fits into my hardness and ph parameters fine, so far as I know, and each type of fish is in an appropriate numbered school.
So far as tank sizes, I know the figure 8s are not in a great tank for their size, but buying and setting up tanks takes time and money, both of which are not easily acquired. It is in the plans.
I see you making at lot of vague references and not anything concrete for me to change.
And again, when you mentioned the pea puffers you gave very vague answers about how they might not be doing well. Then go off on a tangent about how my other tanks are detrimental to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back