April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I am VERY set on getting some yoyo loaches. I have 3 options for which tank I can put them in.
Ph: 7.4. Hardness: 110 ppm

First Option
55 Us Gallon Acrylic
78° F
200 W Heater (adjustable),
Tidal 75 filter, Tetra Whisper 60 Air Pump, Aqueon OptiBright+ 30" LED Light
Play Sand
Mix of fake and live plants
Rocks and wood
Occupants: 14 Black Ruby Barbs, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Orange Chromide, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 LF Green BN Pleco, Maybe 15 Emerald Rasbora (planned, not yet in), and 8 Yoyo Loach (planned).

Option 2
80 US Gallon Tank
Planned Set Up
72°F
Generic LED light, Aquaclear 110 Filter, Tetra Whisper 60 air pump, 250 Watt Heater (adjustable)
Petco Black Sand
Lightly planted (hornwort, duckweed, a few ferns)
Driftwood and a few inert rocks
Panned Occupants: 3 Oranda Goldfish, 15 WCMM, either 8 Yoyo Loach or 3 Gold Dojo Loach
I was looking at a place to buy the Yoyos online and a few places mentioned their temp range going down to 66°F.

Option 3
90 US Gallons
79° F
Fake plants attached to glass and live ferns attached to driftwood and rocks
Tidal 110, Tetra Whisper 60 air pump, 30" LED Light, 300 Watt Heater (adjustable)
Play sand
Lots of wood and rocks to block Line of sight.
Planndd Occupants: 8 Yoyo Loach, 4 Firemouth Cichlid (2 pairs planned), 1 Pink Convict Cichlid, 1 Blue Acara, 11 Barbs of some kind.

Last edited:
I would say the bigger the better. The 90 will give them a lot of room and they will be very happy. Unusual that no one else hopped on this thread earlier. All of the tankmates should be ok with them although I would watch how the 2 pairs of firemouths act towards the convict and blue acara. However, if you add places for them to go you should be fine with the tankmates.

Awesome! I will grow the yoyos out in the 55 a bit and when the 90 is ready, move them all over.

Cool, you could probably up that group to 10 or 12. The more of them, the better behaviour and they have a lot of charm to themselves.

I will! I love how I have seen them interact in videos, and I had an adult singleton for a short time. He was pretty fun to watch.

I think with the fish in there, you have a lot of bottom dwellers. I think maybe 15-20 tiger barbs or emperor tetras could look pretty good in that tank.

I really like barbs, but hadn't gotten past "barbs". I really like mascara barbs but can't find them anywhere.
I might look into different tetra species. Have to see what LFS can order for me.

Assuming the 55 gallon tank is about 4 foot long, I would put the loaches in that.

You can make houses for them out of pvc pipe and plastic containers. Get a plastic container about 12 inches x 10 inches x 2-3 inches high. Drill 1 or 2 holes in one side of the container. Have the holes about 1 inch diameter. Put the lid on the container and fill it with aquarium water. Put it on the bottom of the tank and put some rocks or gravel on top. The loaches can swim inside the container and will hide there during the day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back