Your Thoughts

mystus

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all for school I have to do this project and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

So for my project I wanted to do something on fish. The easy part is me researching the information. The harder part is creating something "new" for it. Any ideas are welcome.

We're really going to need much mre information from you. From what you've posted, it could be anything from building a pond, to looking at eating fish, to building a fish shaped hot air balloon!

Coldcazzie its a general subject thing

K-Holed well it could be thoughs things but I was thinking more along the lines of a small low tech planted tank, I was even thinking of trying to build a new sponge filter (don't actually think I do this one)

How about fishless cycling (the nitrogen cycle)

Or satisfy everyone's curiosity...
Set up two identical tanks - use the substrate from the same package (be it sand/gravel or whatever).
Set up two identical filters with identical media.
Cycle one using just ammonia (use same ammonia for both, in the same concentration).
Cycle the other using "bacteria in a bottle" (stress-zyme, cycle, etc) and see if one cycles faster than the other...
You'd need to make sure that all other params were identical, the only difference being the "bacs in a bottle".

Or satisfy everyone's curiosity...
Set up two identical tanks - use the substrate from the same package (be it sand/gravel or whatever).
Set up two identical filters with identical media.
Cycle one using just ammonia (use same ammonia for both, in the same concentration).
Cycle the other using "bacteria in a bottle" (stress-zyme, cycle, etc) and see if one cycles faster than the other...
You'd need to make sure that all other params were identical, the only difference being the "bacs in a bottle".
This is a very good idea, the only thing is I have to create something new about it which is to me the hardest part.

Well as far as I'm aware no one else on here has done one, and everyone keeps saying how great it would be to have someone do it and have some vaguely definitive results...ones that go beyond "well it worked for me" " well it didn't for me"

Well as far as I'm aware no one else on here has done one, and everyone keeps saying how great it would be to have someone do it and have some vaguely definitive results...ones that go beyond "well it worked for me" " well it didn't for me"
What test the different cycles? or the one I probably will have a hard time accomplishing?

ANy and all suggestions are appreciated.

I'm still puzzled about what your asking idea's for...

A school project were you have to build/design something NEW? for something.

1. Does this "thing" have to have a purpose?

2. Does this "thing" have any requirements?

3. You mentioned doing a low tech planted tank, what about this is new? i mean what you make you setting up the tank a project? im trying to wrap my head around your assignment so i can help.

I agree. So far no real details have been given. Do you have a sheet with the assignment on, that your teacher gave you? Or was it just given verbally?

Maybe if you posted exactly what the specific brief for the project is, and for which subject ppl will be able to suggest something fishie related?

I would research something about the wild populations of our domestic aquarium fish. See what ones are doing well what ones are endangered. Look into if in fact the Aquarium trade is to blame for the decline of the wild populating or is it environmental. Then look into fish farming and is that better or worst for the environment and the fish around.

I would read that. infact I might just do my own little report on it.

Most reactions

Back