Your Reccomendations For A 15 Gallon

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

how about 2 female bettas when its cycled when got rid of flying fox

No, I don't recommend the female bettas. They need to be in a larger group to evenly distribute agression. The advice you have received has been excellent so far. Get rid of the flying fox, in a humane way that doesn't kill the fish, and either build the correct sex ratio for the livebearers or add a few more rasboras. But you can't do this now! I emphasize this a great deal! Your tank must be cycled. This takes quite a while. Do your water changes.

Dwarfgourami gave excellent advice, I suggest you follow it.

Hang on. You were asking in the anabatids about gouramies! You can't fit them in a tank that size with them fish! I wish I'd noticed this one before. Please don't even try. And still cycling!! I'm stunned. Please please research your fish very carefully. And let the tank cycle, rehome the flying fox (blimey) and only after you've been through the icky tough time of piking nitrites and ammonia and hopefully all the fish surviving, ONLY then think about a few more harlequins or platies. *doh* I need a mug of hot choccy.
Hugs,
P.

Hang on. You were asking in the anabatids about gouramies! You can't fit them in a tank that size with them fish! I wish I'd noticed this one before. Please don't even try. And still cycling!! I'm stunned. Please please research your fish very carefully. And let the tank cycle, rehome the flying fox (blimey) and only after you've been through the icky tough time of piking nitrites and ammonia and hopefully all the fish surviving, ONLY then think about a few more harlequins or platies. *doh* I need a mug of hot choccy.
Hugs,
P.

Great advice Dib Dabs, and Prof. Snape is super hot!!! I love looking at your signature and avitar. The news from the latest book really distressed me. -_- Everybody keeps PMing me about this information. It's so funny. I've gotten like five PMs and have had to edit this post like three times. I have not read the book! I have only read the first two in the series, but I love the movies. A friend of mine read the latest book and called me sobbing like crazy and told me all about it. Hopefully, I won't have to edit this post again.

Now if only there was someone floating around with a Worf avitar... I'd be in Hog Heaven! I have strange taste in men. Sorry to be off topic.

Bettas, don't add anymore fish until the tank is cycled. Please, enjoy the fish you have, get your tank running. Read the posts and pinned topics, wait awhile. Your fish will thank you for it.

Hi :thumbs:

I saw on another post about stocking a 10 gallon tank, and it mentions a lot about putting small fish (that are about 1 inch long) in, for obvious reasons! Maybe you should read this it could give you a few other ideas, I dunno:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pygmy cories (corydoras pygmeaus), endler's livebearers (arguably poecilia endleri or poecili sp. endler's or even, poecilia reticulata - which, BTW, is the guppy and not actualy the same thing), spotted rasboras (rasbora maculata), sparkling gouramies (trichopsis pumilus) and honey gouramies (colisa chuna or colisa sota). Oh and let's not forget the myers' hatchetfish (carnegiella myersi).

I've listed the scientific names so you can research them (google is wonderful) yourself. Still, I'll tell you some basic stuff for each.

The cories first off - these are relatively hardy fish and very active (as are all cories realy). They are also very social. It follows that they need to be kept as a group. Considering pygmy cories are minute (just about an inch), you can afford to keep them in an adequately-sized group even in a 10 gallon - that size being 4 individuals.

Endler's livebearers are an adorable livebearer that's very closely related to guppies but, IMO, much more interesting. Also, and this isn't just opinion, they aren't as inbred and a lot hardier and way more adaptable. They also only just get to about 1" with females being slightly larger. Only the males are colorful. Having said that, you should stick to just getting males anyway. Besides females often being quite a bit more tricky to come by (as they aren't profitable to stock as they don't sell well), keeping a mixed group of livebearers is begging to be swamped by fry (thus over-stocking and forfeiting all your fish as a result if you can't re-home them quick enough - and they do breed like rabbits, or worse, convicts). If you do keep them as a mixed group, 2 females to every male is the best ratio. Make sure you don't mix endler's with guppies as they'll hybridize (and though guppies are messed up as it is, I would hope endler's remain relatively pure for a while yet).

The spotted rasboras are also tiny fish that only get to about an inch. These need to be kept in a group of 5-6 minnimum. They can also be a little difficult to get hold of but are worth the trouble as they are quite hardy and deffinately one of the better schooling species.

Sparkling gouramies are one of my favourites out of this list (well, gouramies always are) so I highly reccomend them. They are not the hardiest of fish but they also aren't difficult to keep. What they do need is a tank that's got plenty of hiding places and, prefferably, one that's planted. They are best kept as a trio - 1 male with 2 females - but can be difficult to sex at a young age. This isn't too serious of a problem as long as you know all the fish have places to hide and as long as you watch them regularly so you can replace any extra males with females if necessary. Besides sparkling (and yes, they do sparkle), they can also croak when excited. Adorable little things that also get to just over 1" .

Honey gouramies are my other favourite here (obviously). These are hardy 1.5" fish. Males develop a lovely dark blue-black throat when in breeding condition but females are also lovely, being a delicate shade of honey brown with a slightly darker stripe along the side and a delicate-looking build. Whilst most of the other fish I mentioned occupy the bottom or mid water layers, honey preffer the top. You can keep a single male or get a couple of females (if you don't mind the lack of color). It's also possible to keep a trio if you decorate heavily (a trio, as usual, being 2 females and a male).

The last fish I mentioned was the myers' hatchetfish, one of the tiniest hatchets, if not the smallest. Again, these are a 1" schooling fish that need to be kept in groups. 4-6 individuals is adequate in this size tank and they'll spend all their time near the top. However, this requires that you feed them things that float (or sink slowly) as they won't eat from lower down. They aren't fragile but they aren't hardy either. Don't keep these if you get honey gouramies as they'll be competing for the space at the top of the tank and the gouramies will bully them (as hatchets tend to be prone to being bullied). Make sure you have a tight-fitting hood/lid/cover - hatchets are typicaly suicidal.

Whichever of the above fish you might consider, remember that you can keep a maximum of around 10 individuals (give or take a couple) but you should also remember that some need to be kept in specific size groups (which I have mentioned in all these cases). A lot of them can also be relatively tricky to find - but they are worth it as you can actualy make a community out of them in a way you can't with larger, but also more common, species of fish. Most LFS will order fish in for you or you can order online. Do make sure you fishless cycle the tank beforehand (read the links in my signature), take the time to research each species BEFORE you buy any and take any LFS advice with a grain (or two) of salt.

edit: 'for the record' harlequins are rasboras, not tetras - rasboras are always better schoolers.

I'm hoping you can make combinations of the above yourself but, if you realy can't, here are examples:

1 male honey gourami, 6 spotted rasboras, 4 pygmy cories
OR
3 sparkling gouramies, 4 myers' hatchetfish, 4 endler's livebearers.
OR
4 pygmy cories, 3 sparkling gouramies, 2 female honey gouramies
AND so on... you get the idea?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

kakihara thanks thats great ill research them now thanks
so if i went in my lfs they could order them for me.

spotted rasbora
sparkling gornamis
hatchets
i like all them but never seen them in my life

Yeah, I haven't seen all of them in any LFS I've ever been to either.

I've a 13 Gallon tank and only 4 fish in it at the moment so that post really interested me too. I can only put small fish in if I want variety.

ok PM me and we can talk more i have some more questions i wantt to ask

nitrate and nitrite 0 havnt donw others yet

As it's not very often that a fishkeeper has a nitrate of 0.

is that good

It's practically impossible for a tank with fish to have zero nitrates. It's possible (though fairly rare) to have tapwater with zero nitrates, it's just not possible (to my knowledge) in a normal tank (unless you are using nitrate removers or other chemicals etc.) - because that would indicate that you have fish that do not produce waste :S

Yeah, I would say a 0 Nitrate reading indicates defective testing equipment, a tank that hasn't cycled with tapwater of 0 nitrates (unlikely), or fibs.

Also, zebra danios I'm not sure I'd recommend them in a 15 gallon. I would have thought that due to their better nature they might be better off in something bigger, especially as they belong in schools. You can have variety in a ten gallon, but that doesn't necessarily keeping schooling fish alone.

Most reactions

Back