Your opinion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I can understand that. I was raised among a bunch of cattle ranches and we hunted our own food. I also bred snakes for many years and bred our own rats for feeders. I never took any joy in killing anything and I would never be ok with keeping any animal in a stressful or unhealthy environment until the day came to feed them off. They deserve to be treated with the same respect and care that your pet deserves. Kind of like how I despise these commercial turkey barns they have in my area with thousands of birds in overcrowded barns with no room to move. THAT is NOT ok. If they are treating their fish in a similar fashion to the turkey barns, then I most definitely think that is cruel.
Flushable - you lied to us!

You are not ugly on the inside at all!

(Will I ever be able to trust you again? ;))

While my guppy fry are not specifically bred for the purpose of feeding, I have fed entire batches of Primal's babies to my various betta fish. I was very careful in how I did so, going so far as drip acclimating them to the betta tanks (going from hard brackish water to softer betta water) and one of them managed to escape my king betta and lives as an adult in my guppy community tank (male). Now that my female guppy tank is mature enough to practice population control, I only had to net out a couple of fry as feeders.

While my guppy fry are not specifically bred for the purpose of feeding, I have fed entire batches of Primal's babies to my various betta fish. I was very careful in how I did so, going so far as drip acclimating them to the betta tanks (going from hard brackish water to softer betta water) and one of them managed to escape my king betta and lives as an adult in my guppy community tank (male). Now that my female guppy tank is mature enough to practice population control, I only had to net out a couple of fry as feeders.
Over-population is a huge problem when you have prolific livebearers like guppies, platys etc. If a lot survive, and your local fish places won't take them (because everyone is bringing them hundreds of the li'l tykes), then what do you do? You can't just keep adding more and more aquaria, and they very soon over-populate to the extent that they will die a horrible, slow death from gradual suffocation.

I suppose feeding your excess is kinder than that, or flushing them, which is the other option.

This is why I just buy boys.

This is why I just buy boys.
To be fair, I was supposed to have 2 females and not one of each. I ended up with a juvenile male and a female. They were together for a short amount of time while he finished maturing. By the time I realize he was a he and not just a slightly more colorful female it was too late. They had been together for 2 weeks and she was preggers.

To be fair, I was supposed to have 2 females and not one of each. I ended up with a juvenile male and a female. They were together for a short amount of time while he finished maturing. By the time I realize he was a he and not just a slightly more colorful female it was too late. They had been together for 2 weeks and she was preggers.
They are the sex-crazed mice of the aquatic world . . .

Thankfully, she should be finished having babies soon. About three to four months left. Then I will be putting up ads online.
Give half a dozen of the males a little GPS system, and send them across the ocean to me in the UK. The nearest port is Newcastle (where the shipyard used to be). If they can get themselves there and notify me they've arrived I'll meet them at the docks and take them to their new home.

They may need sandwiches. It's quite a trip.

First, it goes without saying (er writing) that fish get no respect! But where is the line in the sand I wonder. I feed my fish live foods that I culture and collect...microworms, white worms, daphnia, mosquito larvae. I don't think that I'm sending living creatures to their death. I used to euthanize (with oil of cloves) but now deformed fry and early maturing male swordtails go into the turtle pond where they either live out their life, or become turtle snacks.

I eat meat and quite like seafood...perhaps I'm just evil!

First, it goes without saying (er writing) that fish get no respect! But where is the line in the sand I wonder. I feed my fish live foods that I culture and collect...microworms, white worms, daphnia, mosquito larvae. I don't think that I'm sending living creatures to their death. I used to euthanize (with oil of cloves) but now deformed fry and early maturing male swordtails go into the turtle pond where they either live out their life, or become turtle snacks.

I eat meat and quite like seafood...perhaps I'm just evil!
Why do you say fish get no respect? Almost every single member on here treats their fish with respect.

Why do you say fish get no respect? Almost every single member on here treats their fish with respect.
Generally speaking, unless you're really into the hobby, fish are not thought of like other 'pets'. Have you ever heard of the SPCA addressing a fish related issue? Members of my own family would be heartbroken if something was to happen to our dog, but no one but me bats an eye when a fish passes.
They're just not held in high regard like dogs, cats, rabbits.....etc.

unless you have a Dolphin in your backyard pool...

So I joined a group for Betta breeding on FB.. on there they feed the fry to the other fish.. majority of them are only breeding for this reason :( it saddens me to think people think this is ok? I've now removed myself from this group as I've seen too many posts of their fry ready to be given to the other fish for food! Now this is my opinion.. they are completely healthy fish, they shouldn't be given as food! It seems majority of the people on the group thinks it's absolutely fine to do so. Is it just me thinking its completely wrong or do allot of people do this?
I dont know If I'm the only one here that think that every life matter.
I have never hunt, fish or any kind of activity that hurts animal or killed them (heck, I have never killed ants....maybe by accident?)

My opinion is that; every life matter, one shoulnt feed living things to another unless it was nature.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back