Your opinion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I dont know If I'm the only one here that think that every life matter.
I have never hunt, fish or any kind of activity that hurts animal or killed them (heck, I have never killed ants....maybe by accident?)

My opinion is that; every life matter, one shoulnt feed living things to another unless it was nature.
And yes.......I'm not vegan, I like chickens....ymm yummy!

Me: "ill let nature happen and let the community fish eat them."
Babies born:
Me: "I cant do that, okay out you go"
Me: *swamped with babies*

I accidentally made feeders. My sparkling gourami fry ate all of the smaller siblings.

But given the effort of actually raising labyrinth fish fry... thats not a very cost-effective feeder!

I have never hunt, fish or any kind of activity that hurts animal or killed them (heck, I have never killed ants....maybe by accident?)

My opinion is that; every life matter, one shoulnt feed living things to another unless it was nature.
I have gone hunting in the past, and I rather enjoyed it. I see no reason why it is wrong to hunt, unless you are doing it for the wrong reason. (For the antlers, or feather, or head)

I extremely like people that go hunting just for the trophy, especially if they don’t even use the meat.

And yes.......I'm not vegan, I like chickens....ymm yummy!

I don't think it's fair to suggest that you're the only one who cares about every life, and that those of us who might use culls as feeder fish or something are somehow not as caring as you, while you're still a meat eater. That's a double standard that says you're fine with animals being killed for you to enjoy as food, but you'll look down on a hunter who kills their own game for food.

I personally have more respect for the hunter who truly understands nature and selects a deer that won't be a loss to the wild population, a deer that has lived wild and free before being predated; than someone who says that the hunter has no respect for life, yet would eat meat that has been cruelly raised in factory farms.

I'm neither vegan nor a hunter. I just think we cannot consume meat without being intellectually honest about where that meat is coming from.

I don't think it's fair to suggest that you're the only one who cares about every life, and that those of us who might use culls as feeder fish or something are somehow not as caring as you, while you're still a meat eater. That's a double standard that says you're fine with animals being killed for you to enjoy as food, but you'll look down on a hunter who kills their own game for food.

I personally have more respect for the hunter who truly understands nature and selects a deer that won't be a loss to the wild population, a deer that has lived wild and free before being predated; than someone who says that the hunter has no respect for life, yet would eat meat that has been cruelly raised in factory farms.

I'm neither vegan nor a hunter. I just think we cannot consume meat without being intellectually honest about where that meat is coming from.
Actually, we dont have hunters here in Thailand, it is illegal to do that anyways.

the only thing you can eat is meat from slaughter house; chicken, cow, pig......yep only that.

also hunting animal is count as a sin in my country even though we do not have a religion.

Info from wiki V
Hunting is not allowed in Thailand. The only time you may use a gun to kill an animalis if your safety is at stake and you need to defend yourself. Please be aware that you must have a permit in order to possess a gun. You may trap and kill animals on private property with permission of the landowner.

Last edited:
Actually, we dont have hunters here in Thailand, it is illegal to do that anyways.

the only thing you can eat is meat from slaughter house; chicken, cow, pig......yep only that.

also hunting animal is count as a sin in my country even though we do not have a religion.

Info from wiki V
Hunting is not allowed in Thailand. The only time you may use a gun to kill an animalis if your safety is at stake and you need to defend yourself. Please be aware that you must have a permit in order to possess a gun. You may trap and kill animals on private property with permission of the landowner.
That's not the point. You said that people who could cull fish by feeding them to a predator, or people who hunt where it is legal, don't respect life the way you do. That you would never kill an animal, even an insect. But yet you consume meat that other people have killed. How does that make you better than everyone else here?

I hope that this is a language barrier, and that you don't truly believe that people using feeder animals, or culling, or hunting, are bad people because they took the life of a living thing, while also consuming living things yourself, just having someone else do the hard part.

There are two bottom-line ideas that inform my actions with regard to other living things, both as a hunter and as a keeper of animals:
1. Life feeds on life. Nothing lives without something else dying. There are no exceptions. That's just the way it is.
2. As a human, I am entrusted with stewardship of other life. I could write quite a lot about the implications to this; as a man who kills a good portion of my own meat, it's something I've thought about a lot. But for now, suffice it to say that I try never to kill light-heartedly or without good reason. That goes for feeding live food, butchering a chicken, or arrowing a deer.

There are two bottom-line ideas that inform my actions with regard to other living things, both as a hunter and as a keeper of animals:
1. Life feeds on life. Nothing lives without something else dying. There are no exceptions. That's just the way it is.
2. As a human, I am entrusted with stewardship of other life. I could write quite a lot about the implications to this; as a man who kills a good portion of my own meat, it's something I've thought about a lot. But for now, suffice it to say that I try never to kill light-heartedly or without good reason. That goes for feeding live food, butchering a chicken, or arrowing a deer.
Took the words right out of my mouth man. :good:

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here are my $0.02:

I personally have no moral objection to feeding live food to carnivorous creatures if it's what they are biologically meant to eat. It's nature and nature isn't always kind. Most people in the fish hobby use fish like guppies or rosy red minnows as feeders (which likely started due to being inexpensive to produce). In my eyes, feeding betta fry or any other non-endangered species is no different. The difference is only aesthetics and because they pretty and commonly kept as pets, people get in the mindset that the pretty fish are somehow superior and have more valuable lives. This can be summed up as cognitive dissonance.

However, whenever possible, I would agree that deformed specimens that likely wouldn't have the same quality of life would be the most ethical to feed off.
These fish aren’t being kept in their natural habitat they are in man made tanks. It the wild
I'll probably get flamed for this, but here are my $0.02:

I personally have no moral objection to feeding live food to carnivorous creatures if it's what they are biologically meant to eat. It's nature and nature isn't always kind. Most people in the fish hobby use fish like guppies or rosy red minnows as feeders (which likely started due to being inexpensive to produce). In my eyes, feeding betta fry or any other non-endangered species is no different. The difference is only aesthetics and because they pretty and commonly kept as pets, people get in the mindset that the pretty fish are somehow superior and have more valuable lives. This can be summed up as cognitive dissonance.

However, whenever possible, I would agree that deformed specimens that likely wouldn't have the same quality of life would be the most ethical to feed off.
These fish are not being kept in their natural wild habitat where Nature takes its course...fish will predate, slow or unlucky ones may get eaten. I understand the cycle of life and that with any animal this is just the laws of nature . Fair is fair in nature BUT we humans (some less kind) keep these in tanks as pets (nothing natural at all) and WE are the ones feeding them. The poor sacrificial fish (which are often kept as pets by some *bettas* in this case, get no choice nor chance of survival when deliberately FED to other fish. In the wild environmental factors would come into account regarding survival...the fittest (Or smartest...or tiniest for that matter).
I feel thats the difference !
Do Lions etc in a zoo get fed live creatures as they’d eat in the wild...no.
Oh gawd now ya got me picturing the scene in Jurassic Park where the cow is fed to the Velociraptors and the Goat‘s left tied up for the TRex...lol
PS: FlushablePets...remotely acceptable to feed deformed species but then again in nature those very fish may survive n live a normal life. Soooo....who’s to say.

Last edited:
These fish aren’t being kept in their natural habitat they are in man made tanks. It the wild

These fish are not being kept in their natural wild habitat where Nature takes its course...fish will predate, slow or unlucky ones may get eaten. I understand the cycle of life and that with any animal this is just the laws of nature . Fair is fair in nature BUT we humans (some less kind) keep these in tanks as pets (nothing natural at all) and WE are the ones feeding them. The poor sacrificial fish (which are often kept as pets by some *bettas* in this case, get no choice nor chance of survival when deliberately FED to other fish. In the wild environmental factors would come into account regarding survival...the fittest (Or smartest...or tiniest for that matter).
I feel thats the difference !
Do Lions etc in a zoo get fed live creatures as they’d eat in the wild...no.
Oh gawd now ya got me picturing the scene in Jurassic Park where the cow is fed to the Velociraptors and the Goat‘s left tied up for the TRex...lol
PS: FlushablePets...remotely acceptable to feed deformed species but then again in nature those very fish may survive n live a normal life. Soooo....who’s to say.

Have you ever eaten a beef, pork, chicken, turkey, etc? Those are raised purely for consumption in an unnatural environment. I can guarantee that lion in the zoo is being fed meat that was raised specifically for slaughter as well. Just saying.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back