You Are Talking To The Proud New Owner Of Two Corydoras....

Amberleaf

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ontario, Canada (If you want to know my city you'r
Well, yesterday night (Thursday night), I went to check out a fish club about.... oh, let's say, ummmm.... about an hour from where I live. ^^; It was mostly old people there, D:, but these guys were very knowledgeable. I'm going back. ^^;

Well.... *anyways*. At the end, what happened was.... There was this guy, who brought in some fish bags from the Big Al's in that areas, and there were fishies inside. People had to guess what type it was.... Eventually narrowing it down from size and colour and continent, to the actual fish.... ^^; I guessed, "Is it black?" 'cause, at that time, I knew a *few* types of cories.... Panda cories, and blahs. ^^;

Well, I didn't have any guesses beyond that.... Unfortunately. D: Actually, I sort of cheated, because I saw them lift out the bag for a second a little while before. :lol: But I only saw something dark. ^^;

I had guessed (in my head, before they decided it was some sort of cory) that it might be some other type of fish (which I forget, nows D:), but anyways, they didn't guess, so they held a little auction for it.... Well.... It turned out that, one of the owners of the club, or whatever (I dunno; I completely forgot :oops: ), bought them for me! :D I was so happy. ^^; At first, they pushed the bag at me, and they're all like, "You bought this, young lady?" I'm like, all startled, "Umm.... no." The guy who won came over and told me it was for me. ^^; It was a gift. :D Too bad stuff like that only happens once. :rofl:

Well, anyways, they said that the two cories were sold as 'sterbai cories', but they really weren't that. ^^; One looks quite like it, though. :crazy: Somebody recommended that I clear away a *small* spot on the gravel for the cories to go easy on, so that it wouldn't hurt their barbel-thingyies, so I did. ^^; Unfortunately, they have pretty much ignored the area *altogether*, instead, hanging out in the back of the tank, near the palm tree ornament. Which is rough(ish), but it provides shelter and the cories seem to love it, so I think they're good. ^^; :good:

Sooooo.... *Anyways*. ^^; One looks a little bit like a sterbai cory, and one is.... well, it's just plain brown. ^^; It looks a little like a pepper cory, though. :/

They've already been nicknamed 'The Spazzfests'. ^^; The spotted one is City Spazzfest, and the brown one is Prairie Spazzfest. :p

Sooooo.... Any ideas/advice on feeding? Anything elses? ^^; They'll be fine around a gravel vacuum.... rights?! :eek: What is their preferred pH/water temperature?! :eek: Advice, please; help!!!! :eek:

EDIT: Also, how to tell their genders?! :eek: They seem to like hanging out together, but that doesn't mean anything much.... I don't think.... ^^; >8D

Post so photos for us we would love to see them.

They do best in groups on 6 or more on the same kind. You could get a way with 3 Of a kind but I just added 3 more to my first 3 they are so much more fun to watch now.

I feed mine flakes and sinking wafers they love it. But I'm new to the cory cats last time I had some was 14 years ago. So other people might have more info for you.

I feed mine Hikari(sp?) sinking algea wafers, Shrimp pelets, Highquality fish flakes(must also have sinking food) and frozen foods(Blood worms, brine shrimp, ect.)

Wow I bet you were thrilled with that! Best get some pics up for the experts to help identify, the food mentioned above is all good :good:

Hi Amberleaf :)

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at the aquarium society meeting. A lot of clubs find themselves with most of the members being older folks but they do enjoy having younger people join them. If you are serious about your fishkeeping you will always be welcome there. I hope you decide to join and become a regular member. As you've seen, the bargains you can get at the auctions alone will be worth the price of the dues.

You can also learn a lot by paying attention to the presentations made by the guest speakers. They are often well know experts in their fields. This Friday night our club had a gentleman show us how to cut glass and rocks and showed us a variety of different rocks that work well in aquariums. It was very interesting even though I doubt if I will ever have occasion to cut these kinds of things myself. I also sold 8 little panda corys for $12, half of which I donated to the club, and bought a gigantic java fern for just $20. I'll be dividing it up into many small ones for my tanks.

As for the corys, it would help if you showed pictures. There are just so many different species that look similar that it's just about impossible to tell by a description alone. If you take a picture from the top too, we might be able to tell you if they are male or female. :D

Most reactions

Back