Reaction score
AD10C8C6-97AD-4AE0-8ED2-4B8B8B2DDA7C.jpeg

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Im pretty certain that YoYo loaches need sand... anyone else have experience with them?

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
All bottom dwellers are better on sand than gravel.

Is it just this one or do the rest do the same? I hope you have more than one as they are shoaling fish which need to be in a group.

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
That could be the reason that the loach buries itself. Being on its own is stressful, then water changes cause more stress so it reacts by trying to hide. These fish should really be kept in groups of at least 6.

OP
C

Chen jing kai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
That could be the reason that the loach buries itself. Being on its own is stressful, then water changes cause more stress so it reacts by trying to hide. These fish should really be kept in groups of at least 6.
Oh ok. But it doesn’t dig into the gravel otherwise. Thanks for the info

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Water changes can be stressful to fish, and if that fish is already stressed for some other reason, the extra stress of the water change could cause it to try and hide when usually it doesn't do that.

OP
C

Chen jing kai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Water changes can be stressful to fish, and if that fish is already stressed for some other reason, the extra stress of the water change could cause it to try and hide when usually it doesn't do that.
Oh ok thanks. What if I get two more yo-yo loaches? I think I might not have enough space for 6.

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Two more would be better than nothing. Yoyo loaches do need a surprisingly large tank for the size of the fish - a tank 4 feet/120 cm long is recommended as the minimum.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Is that coral rubble on the bottom of the tank?
If yes, you should probably replace it with something that doesn't increase the pH.

A finer gravel or sand would allow the fish to dig more easily and would do less damage to the fish.

Most reactions