Yipee! Just Took Delivery Of My New Rio 400!

signman

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Okay guys , this tank is the biggest one I have ever owned.... and it's Stunning. it dwarfs my Fluval 260 bow front, makes it look like a matchbox. Have filled it with water and filter & heater are doing well ! ok its not a maternity situation, but to me it's my new baby.

VERY FRUSTRATING I can't put fish in it for about a week.

My question is this:-

Sand is in the tank, is it best to decorate it before adding fish? the same time? or after

any tips for cycling the tank quicker or better?

thank you in advance

Rob
 
Id aquascape before adding fish (atleast its somthing to do whilst waiting for the cycle)...Best way to cycle would be to clone it with some mature media from your existing filter :)

Good luck and enjoy.
 
can't clone it cos its a totally different filter system. Fluval 305 was the filter in the "old" tank. Can I decorate it now? or should I wait?
 
"Decorating" wont affect the cycle in anyway, so yes feel free.
 
Had a rummage around in my "Medicine cabinet" and found some aquascape. will put it in shortly. I tell you what, my living room looks like SEAWORLD. I have a Fluval 260 (shortly to go when this one has cycled) a 180 litre ufo fluval - a 125 litre fluval - a 90 litre quarantine tank and a 75 litre "baby" tank for my babies. I have an aquamode 600 55 litre tank and a 50 litre goldfish tank. we have had to put the telly on the wall, and the xmas tree has got smaller LOL. Married see - get guaranteed satisfaction from my fish LOL
 
Theres a product called aquascape?! When I use the term I mean to scape the tank (As in, create a water version of a landscape)...Ie, decorating :)
 
cross purposes. I have a bottle of AQUASCAPE FRESH START: "super concentrated formula to keep aquariums healthy" 100ml
 
correct! I'm the muppet here! I'm a signwriter! oh the shame of it! it is AQUASAFE!
 
I would get BioZyme, it has " dormant" bacteria in it, and when you add water they "wake" up, i used it around 2 week's ago, an di added fish 2 days later, and i havent had any water problems yet.
 
If you dont want to wait to cycle, spend like 12 bucks on bio spira and thats like an instant cycle. Biospira is the only one proven to work

Got a Bio Spira substitute, and it is now day 3. I have done the relivent tests and all is good.

Does live plants affect the PH? or is that an old wives tale?
 
congrats on the new tank, my vision 450 came yesterday and im ded exited aswell.

Adam
 
Never heard of live plants affecting the pH. If you add CO2 for the plants I think that can lower pH over time (if you do not have rock hard buffered water).

A good amount of fast growing plants will actually help your cycle by consuming some of your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

I'd be careful stocking a tank having used a chemical to help cycle it.

How quickly is the ammonia being consumed and brought back down to zero.

Good luck with your tank, I have the 300 and that is as big as I can get away with in our house!
 
mytank.jpg
[/img]

meet the new addition to my family!

the ammonia is not quite zero, it is reading 0.50. other than that all is good

any pics? 450 litres? blimey, I thought this one was big!

specifically, what plants would you recommend now you have seen my setup?

thank you in advance

Rob
 

Most reactions

Back
Top