Yet Another Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi, im Scott. Ive had fish for about 10 years but only coldwater. Started a tropical 50L and taking it more seriously now. I have a planted tank with bog wood. I have 2 Albino Corys, 2 Bronze Corys and 1 baby Bronze Cory (my albino and bronze bred!) only 1 survived though :( as i didnt really have the experience or the kit to segregate the eggs, but 1 little one survived! I also have a common plec, a dwarf plec and a betta. Don't think my Betta has been very well recently, that or he is sulking, he doesn't swim around much at the moment just sulks at the bottom of the tank, every now and again he will potter about. Ive laid off the food and been feeding him small portions of peas for the last couple of days incase he's constipated! Or maybe its because thier isn't much interaction going on in the tank as the others are all bottom feeders?? I am debating getting a bala shark, Ive heard so many mixed things about them...they are one of the most peaceful fish you can get...they are aggressive, they need to be kept in groups, they are okay alone, they will outgrow a 50L tank, they are fine in small tanks. I have not seen any definitive answers... anyone have any advice?? As I don't listen to my local fish shop anymore as i bought 6 mollies and they were battering my Betta (he said they would be compatible) and they clearly were not!!

Many Thanks!!

You common pleco will out grow your tank. Don't get a Bala shark. Don't get anymore fish or your tank will be overstocked.
I'll leave the rest up to the others.
Also welcome to the forum.

Firstly, hi :hi: welcome to the forum!
Your cories need a bigger school. You should get 3-4 more.
Blondie is right. The common Pleco will get up to 30+ inches so will need a bigger tank or to be rehomed.
Bala shakes get as big as the common Pleco so please, don't purchase balas. ( they're schooling btw ).
What breed is the dwarf Pleco?

Ok first off welcome to the forum :)

Blondie is right, a common pleco is going to need a much longer tank then 50L they can grow over a foot long, same as the bala shark. They are good fish but not suited for your tank in any way. She is also right by saying your tank is on the edge of being over stocked if its not already.

Congrats on the lone survivor that's pretty good for your first time. I'm glad to see you asking questions and willing to learn :)

Hope you enjoy the forum

welcome to the forum! and Congrats on the baby! As said by everyone else bala's and common's aren't suitable :/ If you have any questions, ask away!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back