Yet Another Cycling Q

Declan

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
482
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Milton Keynes
I am cycling my 27L at the moment, going up to 5ppm and then down etc.

I know that it is too small for anything except shrimp really, and that was my plan, a shrimp only tank.

I also understand that shrimp don't produce much bio-load, and I dont want a mini cycle again, as shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite..

So, how do I get it so that my tank is cycled and still safe to add shrimp, whilst still preventing a mini-cycle?

Do I add like 50 shrimp at once to keep the ammonia production up? Or what?

Thanks in advance,

D.
 
Not really sure what you mean, Declan.

Shrimp produce very little waste and so the filter doesn't have to be cycled to the same extent as if the tank were to house fish. You would be pretty safe only raising ammonia to 1 - 2ppm to cycle a tank for shrimp, rather than the common 5ppm used for fish.

If you are asking how to avoid mini cycles when adding the shrimp, the fishless cycle should take care of this for you. It would be best to add all the shrimp at once immediately after the cycle.

BTT
 
Not really sure what you mean, Declan.

Shrimp produce very little waste and so the filter doesn't have to be cycled to the same extent as if the tank were to house fish. You would be pretty safe only raising ammonia to 1 - 2ppm to cycle a tank for shrimp, rather than the common 5ppm used for fish.

If you are asking how to avoid mini cycles when adding the shrimp, the fishless cycle should take care of this for you. It would be best to add all the shrimp at once immediately after the cycle.

BTT
Thats basically what I mean.

OK, I have been cycling it at 5ppm for about 4 weeks now, should I just lower it to 2ppm suddenly or over a period of time?

If I cant add about 50 shrimp at once, how can I stop it from re-cycling once I add say, 10 shrimp?

D.
 
You'll only really get a mini-cycle if you add too many fish - so that their waste production exceeds the capability of the bacteria built up in the filter, and you have to wait for those bacteria to catch up. If you're adding shrimp a few at a time, you'll not cause a mini-cycle - there's no way they'll produce enough excess waste to trigger one.
 
Not on the mini cycle subject, 50 shrimp is a bit too many for a 27 litre especially if you are wanting to breed them. The more shrimp you have in the tank the slower breeding will happen. I would say an absolute maximum of 30 shrimp perhaps 20 in your tank, selling/giving away any over this number.
 
Not on the mini cycle subject, 50 shrimp is a bit too many for a 27 litre especially if you are wanting to breed them. The more shrimp you have in the tank the slower breeding will happen. I would say an absolute maximum of 30 shrimp perhaps 20 in your tank, selling/giving away any over this number.
I have done quite a bit of research and shrimp stop breeding once they get too cramped within their tank. Thanks anyway :good:

D.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top