Yes, Another Stocking Question!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Hi, so many of you know that I had to get an emergency tank as mines cracked. I measured it for the first time today as the measurements the previous guy gave me didn't sound right. I bought a measuring tape and put the numbers into this website 

100cm, 40cm and 45cm height which gives me 180L.

No wonder it looks so bare! Here is my stock so far.

4 x c.panda 
4 x c.elegans
3 x c.pepper longfin
2 x c.melini -the lfs can't get any more at this moment
3 x gold rams

I had a single male ram and went to get a female for him today, the man at the lfs recommended 2 females. I put them in the tank and the male immediately started showing off and went to one in particular and started swimming close to her, she has now turned pink in her belly.

The tank looks so bare I am starting to hate it. I want to know what else I can have in the tank please. Here are the suggestions I was given today:

boesmani rainbow fish - They are huge! I don't really like them!
a pair of GBRs
blue acaras - he did his hardest to sell me these, I just knew they would be too big
odessa barbs - I liked these, they were so colourful
pencil fish-I liked these also, but pricey
rummynose tetras -  I am not a huge fan
chocolate gourami - again not a huge fan
4 angelfish-I really like angel fish 

What are your thoughts? I don't want to sound fussy but I am! I want an active colourful community. So far I have 3 rams and cories lol.

Suggestions welcome, thankyou!

Personally I would let the tank settle in a bit before getting more fish stock. Let that fast growing water wisteria of your fill the tank!

180L is way too small for 4 Angels - either one or maybe a breeding pair but then when they spawn they could get nasty to the other mid swimmers.

Well with your current stock you have a lot of bottom dwellers, maybe a school of tight schooling tetra like cardinals would add a lot of movement higher in the tank. Or you could get a school of Harlequin rasboras for the same effect. An angel as a centerpiece fish would look nice, but be careful with groups, I'm currently having some aggression issues with my festivum and supposedly they're more peaceful cichlids, I guess it depends on the fish's personality but just a word of caution.

Thanks, I put the wisteria on one side, it's already grown as tall as the tank. I am not overloading it with plants. The amazon swords have grown huge too. 
Sophie-That's what I thought, I thought maybe 1.
Remember, this is advice from the LFS and other sites which I am on :p

I just want something nice! They had a display tank which was 160L and it had a pair of spawning angel fish and the biggest rainbow fish I have ever seen! It was so active and colourful!

FreshwaterAfishianado said:
Well with your current stock you have a lot of bottom dwellers, maybe a school of tight schooling tetra like cardinals would add a lot of movement higher in the tank. Or you could get a school of Harlequin rasboras for the same effect. An angel as a centerpiece fish would look nice, but be careful with groups, I'm currently having some aggression issues with my festivum and supposedly they're more peaceful cichlids, I guess it depends on the fish's personality but just a word of caution.
I totally fell for the festivum but I know he would be too small for my tank! I would love an angel, I think they are stunning!

I think the Pencil Fish would be a great option - they stay high in the water column and would fill a gap left by all the Cories and Rams :)

Wills

If you really would like an angel, get one; your tank's just about tall enough.

They really do do fine on their own, and they're lovely; my favourite fish, although I don't own one myself atm; I lost mine recently and haven't replaced him yet; I was besotted with that fish.

Wills said:
I think the Pencil Fish would be a great option - they stay high in the water column and would fill a gap left by all the Cories and Rams
smile.png

Wills

This was the 1st time I had seen them! They are quite striking.

fluttermoth said:
If you really would like an angel, get one; your tank's just about tall enough.

They really do do fine on their own, and they're lovely; my favourite fish, although I don't own one myself atm; I lost mine recently and haven't replaced him yet; I was besotted with that fish.

Sorry to hear about your angel, I do love them, I really think I would be head over heels with one, esp a black one :D

Definitely go with an angel!
They really are great fish to own and will readily take food from your hand after a week or so. Mine swims up to the glass and begs for food when ever I walk past
biggrin.png

Koi angels are  really nice and I've noticed that this variety doesn't get quite as tall either.

wrightt3 said:
Definitely go with an angel!
They really are great fish to own and will readily take food from your hand after a week or so. Mine swims up to the glass and begs for food when ever I walk past
biggrin.png

Koi angels are  really nice and I've noticed that this variety doesn't get quite as tall either.

Aww! They have loads of koi angels, they are only about 50p sized just now, so cute. 

I can't believe how much I fell for the festivum, I am so proud I walked away or I would have been in serious trouble lol 

Here's a pic of mine;

His name was Gorky (after the painter).

He was a bit of a mutant, tbh; a black marbled veiltail; his tail was always like that, and he never really grew properly, but I loved him anyway!

OMG, wrightt3; we're angel pushers now!

Wow he was beautiful fluttermoth, I love his long fins.

That's it, I am getting 1. Just 1? :p

Thanks, I do miss him!

Yeah, I'd get just the one; they can be a menace to each other; Gorky turned on the female he'd spawned with (twice, though they ate both lots of eggs!) for no reason; I caught him dragging her round by her dorsal fin one day and had to rehome her 
crazy.gif

My son was cross; he liked the other angel, and thought I should get rid of Gorky, 'cos he was the nasty one, but I couldn't bring myself to be parted from him, despite that.

His ex is still alive and doing well in my cousin's tank though, I'm pleased to say; she was more normal looking.

Aww, so sorry hun :( 
rip.gif
 gorky

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back