yellow panchax

Robbo851

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just bought two of these ,the lfs said they would be alright with my dwarf gouramis and blue tetras, was he right as i think they could be dangereous, however they do stay at the top and i read that they only attack ill and dead fish. does anyone know anything about these fish

They get to 4" and will eat any fish that can fit in their mouth, but they won't attack fish, they tend to leave those larger than themselves alone, and swallow the smaller ones :)

from my experience they either have poor eyesight or are just dumb...if something catches their eye they WILL try to eat it...i have had my female start to suck up a mail guppy starting with his tail like spaghetti - luckily i netted her and svaed the gup - keep them well fed and you should be OK...they get hungry, though, and you may run into problems

being top swimmers they gobble up the blood worms well before anyone else so that shouldnt be a problem, i guess only time will tell

Yellow Panchax!! By this I think you mean the yellow/gold variety of Aplochelius lineatus. (Killifish)
These fish are fine whilst they are young and make lovely additions to any aquaria. They are predatory by nature and once they mature they can become quite boisterious and will consume any small fish or crustacean that will fit in their large mouths. If they get hungry enough, your tetras may be at risk.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back