Yar180 (yet Another Rio 180)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's looking a bit sparse at the moment. I got the P. helferi planted last night, I was assuming it would all be floating about this morning as I didn't have much stem to plant on each plantlet, but thankfully this morning the'yre all still in place!

Also planted a few stems of something random that came in the bunch with the P. Helferi from James. It looks like glosso, but more of a stem plant, if that even makes sense. It could be glosso that's grown tall but I'm not sure. I've planted it anyway ;) I'll see what happens I guess!

Something I didn't post about the other day is my attempt to make my own lily pipe. I used a section of clear plastic tubing, left over from hacking my EX700 spraybar down previously. I applied heat and moulded it with the rounded handles of several screwdrivers. It took a bit of heating, cooling, heating etc but the finished item isn't that bad. I seem to be getting an OK flow around the tank. I just need to re-position my diffuser I think. I have noticed some really nice gentle vortex swirls on the surface too :)

Really not convinced this Rhinox 5000 is working correctly. I have to have the BPS very high to get the whole thing to diffuse. I think the ceramic is faulty as it produces larger bubbles from one side. I assume the pressure doesn't build up enough inside for the whole thing to work at 2bps). I might try one of the smaller diffusers I have and position it differently.

Pics later on hopefully :)

Ok, some pics...

Full frontal:
full_post_plants.jpg

Closeup of plants:
plants_finished.jpg

DIY lily pipe:
DIY_lily.jpg

that wood is perfect for this scape :)

Does your DIY lily pipe make much of a difference?

Not really sure. It does seem to create nice gentle currents on the surface, yet flow is directed downwards. I'm considering re-positioning it to the side blowing right or left like a proper lilly, but the Rio design is a bit awkward for that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back