Common name golden saddle,
Critically endangered ,.
Temperament. will nip fins of small / slow moving fish,
Temperature. do well between 68 f _74 f,
Food. will accept any food offered flake ,frozen, live foods,
Greens. spinach, lettuce, or peas,
Size. up to 3 and a half ", Tank size 30 gal +
Brood size. usually 20, capable of producing larger numbers of fry,
Fry. the babies are born very large at birth, can be fed on crushed flake ,daphnia, grindall worms,

IMG_5817.JPG

Xenotoca doadrioi san Marcos. Mexico
Common name golden saddle,
Critically endangered ,.
Temperament. will nip fins of small / slow moving fish,
Temperature. do well between 68 f _74 f,
Food. will accept any food offered flake ,frozen, live foods,
Greens. spinach, lettuce, or peas,
Size. up to 3 and a half ", Tank size 30 gal +
Brood size. usually 20, capable of producing larger numbers of fry,
Fry. the babies are born very large at birth, can be fed on crushed flake ,daphnia, grindall worms,

View attachment 162336
Awesome looking fish! Really wish I understood the rarer livebearers better.

I miss my Goodeids. When I had hard water, I kept and distributed quite a few. They aren't fish for consumers, but rather for people willing to make the extra effort to share them out. They have a lot of character, and they're easy to see as pets.

Pretty fish, pity they will probably be extinct in the next 10 years :(
Like more goodeid species... We support a project in Mexico to rerelease captive bred goodeid species into their natural habitat.
Awesome looking fish! Really wish I understood the rarer livebearers better.
There's so much more to learn about rare livebearers. I'm one of those rare livebearer fans. I also keep and breed rare livebearers for years.
I miss my Goodeids. When I had hard water, I kept and distributed quite a few. They aren't fish for consumers, but rather for people willing to make the extra effort to share them out. They have a lot of character, and they're easy to see as pets.
I still keep and breed several goodeid species. Just like fish48. Like more wild species that aren't sold at an average lfs.

last weekend I picked up another three types of goodeids , I now have 20 species, not all goodeids are easy to keep some are among the hardest of livebearers to keep I have kept and breed many of them long term ,I've been lucky to have a large number of fish tanks and space to keep them,

not all goodeids are easy to keep some are among the hardest of livebearers to keep I have kept and breed many of them long term ,I've been lucky to have a large number of fish tanks and space to keep them,
I can totally relate to that... 👍

Where do you guys find these oddball rare fish ? It's a cinch that they've never been in a pet shop.
Well, this specific species will be offered from time to time at a store. But it remains rare for the commercial world. You could import those fish or get your hands on them by contacting a private breeder. But also on some sites like Ebay, they'll be offered. You could also try the ALA (American Livebearer Association).

Here's a video I've made of my own colony of Xenotoca doadrioi...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back