X1 Fish Wanted For My Set-up

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
I am sure there is going to be some "your tank is fully stocked already" comments, and if i get a lot of this (from this forum and others i have posted this question on) i will give second thoughts to my plan BUT, BUT, BUT............................. i am a serial "upgrader" but i do respect that sometimes peeps hold the view "upgrade FIRST"

anyway, my question dear Forum members

i am looking for one decent size fish (maybe purchase it at about 5-6" and it gets to a max of 12-14" tops) DOESNT HAVE TO GET TO 12-14", be perfectly happy for it to max out at about 8-9"

Will be in a 48x22x20 (300 litre) which is 81 US GALLONS (yeee-harrrrr) :lol: for the time being, no doubt to be upgraded at some point in next 6 months or so, if i keep the x4 Bichirs and x2 Reed Fish together which i want to do.

Current tank mates would be

x4 Senegal Bichir, currently 4"
x2 Reed Fish, currently 5"
x1 Syno, currently 4"

Was thinking about an Oscar, but is that risking too much, in terms of aggression with other tank mates? Was kinda hoping one Oscar would be cool with them, but i guess its a risk? I think the Oscar idea is pants? is it just way too risky?

Any other suggestions?

A peaceful(ish) Cichlid (x1)? any suggestions?

An oddball type?

Like i said, looking to purchase at the 5-6" mark, and have something that will reach no more than 12-14" at its fully grown size.

London tap-water, so alkaline and hard, sand substrate, mixture of bog wood and rocks for decor

x2 Eheim 2028 as filtration

EDIT: i think where i am coming from, is that i would like x1 middle/upper level fish in there,

Not keen on African Butterfly fish

We had an oscar with our birchirs fine, but we have found that each oscar has its own personailty and some are much more placid than others. They do re arrange tank decor, and our oscar was with the larger birchir species. You say you will be upgrading your tank, with an oscar that would be a necessity as it grew.
Clare

We had an oscar with our birchirs fine, but we have found that each oscar has its own personailty and some are much more placid than others. They do re arrange tank decor, and our oscar was with the larger birchir species. You say you will be upgrading your tank, with an oscar that would be a necessity as it grew.
Clare

i agree, an Oscar in a 48x22x20 would be a big committment

EDIT: Oscar AND Bichir and Reed Fish in a 48x22x20

and a gamble, like you said, would depend on the Oscar

I am now thinking some kind of large barb, BUT problem with that is

1. they mostly prefer to shoal (like Tinfoil)

2. My other fish prefer a meaty diet

if you were making a big upgrage then maybe a shoal of distichodus sexfasciatus they grow to about 12" in captivity but they are best kept in a group really depends how big you want to go on your next tank, ive never kept them but always wanted to, but a friend told me they have a temper like a tiger barb if you keep them alone they get snappy. i would think they would tolerate moderately hard water with a neutral ph ok.

if you were making a big upgrage then maybe a shoal of distichodus sexfasciatus they grow to about 12" in captivity but they are best kept in a group really depends how big you want to go on your next tank, ive never kept them but always wanted to, but a friend told me they have a temper like a tiger barb if you keep them alone they get snappy. i would think they would tolerate moderately hard water with a neutral ph ok.

yes these are beautiful fish, cost an arm and a leg at my LFS though!!!!

i know they like a varied diet, that also can include meaty stuff, but, alas, i think its a bit ambitious for me these fish, i've heard they can get to 16" in captivity, but maybe 12" is more normal

thanks for suggestion, i cant see it happening, but nice fish

For the top there a loads of options. FW archer/s, needlefish, pink tailed chalacus (sp?), and gars aswell, but that depends on how big you would be going. What about siamese tigerfish. Also things like geos, they look really nice IMO.

Actually Distichodus sexfastiatus will grow to a hell of a lot more than 12 inches given the right sized tank and trying to keep more than one adult in anything less than public aquarium sized tanks will result in a blood bath, as they mature they become loners and will attack any fish in the tank that they perceive as a threat to their territory.

what about a hepsetus odoe(african pike). i keep mine with bichirs.stunning fish.

thanks mark.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back