FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Die_Grinder

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
10snails + 7 hermit crabs CC
2 common clowns
at the moment

wanting too add a fire fish and a neon blue goby.

tank is 18 us gal, external fluval 104 full of LR rubble and substrat
HOB red sea protien skimmer
10% weekley water change
8kg of LR in tank.

not gonna add them yet, just wondered what you guys thaught :D

It can be done but you'd HAVE to keep up with water changes and maintenance.
Bunji keeps 4 fish in his 15g but compared to the fish you are planning to add they are low bio-load bar the clown.
Although a neon goby is low bioload i'd reccomend you keep it at 3 fish but it's up to you :)

Dan

If the tank has an open top i'd leave the firefish out. When they get stressed they take flight and try to hide, in a larger tank this is not usually a problem as they will dart away from the disturbance, in small tanks such as Nanos they tend to go for the easiest option which is up and out and end up carpet surfing.

Firefish ARE jumpers. 3 fish in an 18 is pushing it. You could prbably put a neon in their, but, agree....will have to keep up with water changes. IMO, not worth it. This is the DISADVANTAGE of a nano reef...you MUST limit what you put in there or risk a crash. SH

ya i mean an 18 gallon might be a bit lower than 30 or even 90 but the bigger you go the better i made the mistake of getting a 30 gallon and i wish i had gone at least 55 but now im cycling so i guess ill manage and build my expeirience the hard way, i couldnt iimagine going 18 gallons thats just me cuz i know i want alooottt of fish, the sad thing is i was just given a 300 gallon tank that my teacher didnty ant anymor, but i know i cant use it until i get a job cuz the live rock and eveything else would b ALOT so for now the 30 but i think you should go atleast 20 youd be a little more happy because you might be able to fit the fish you want 30 even better and you could get another fish or more inverts like shrimp good luck ;)

My tank is overstocked, I admit that, but then I am thoroughly anal about the maintanence of the tank (I work on it almost every day), I have access to mature water from the system at work, And I feed relatively lightly, which all help me keep the tank in check.

I am planning to upgrade the tank to a 2ft cube at some point but for now it runs fine, specs..

Hardware

-15G Aqua-One/Superfish Tank,
-3x 14W T5 White,
-1x 15W T8 Blue Actinic,
-Eheim 2213 (biological media/carbon) drawing water through internal 3 stage filter (440L/H),
-TMC Rio 200 (524L/H),
-Sander Maxi 200,
-Evaporation Tray (Cleaned alot!),
-About 8KG of Live Rock,

Livestock

1 x B&W TMC Percula Clow
1 x Blue Pipefish
1 x Bi-Colour Blenny
1 x Blue Neon Goby

1 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
4 x Sexy Shrimp
3 x Hermit Crabs
3 x Turbo Snails
3 x Sand Sifting Snails
And Many Corals.....

Your tank stocking sounds absolutely fine as long as you are prepared to do work to the tank little and often.

Ben :)

Most reactions

trending

Back