Would You Buy A Fish From A Tank That Has A Few Deformed Fish In It?

jnms

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Went down to our LFS today, we are fortunate that they sell show guppies from a local breeder - and at standard guppy prices.

I was after some female guppies, but I noticed about 3 deformed fish in the same tank. One was clearly stressed, and seemed to have swim bladder issues.

The rest of the fish looked perfectly fine, though I was unsure what to do - so didn't buy any. So would you buy a healthy (in appearance) fish from a tank that contains a few deformed fish?
 
If it was deformity and clearly not illness, then yes I would . I personally do not breed fish and would actually be more inclined to buy a deformed fish as a pet . I doubt many others ( as in the average person looking for a tank to simply have around and look pretty ) would.

If you are breeding or intend to then I would say forget it, as you don't know wether all the fish in the tank are related , and if they are then a genetic deformity may crop up in the fry of what otherwise seems a healthy looking fish .
 
Honeythorn's right. deformity only lies with the individual fishes and its not contagious or anything, unless it is a disease.
 
Personally, I wouldn't, but I've had bad experiences.
And while others have enough experience to judge whether disease or some non-contagious cause is involved, I lack this myself.

I bought some Glowlight Tetras some time back which had deformities not noticeable in the sales tank, being unable to recognise the signs of a mycobacterial infection I didn't then realize was generally prevalent among aquarium fish or a problem to watch for.
Not sure right now whether I had those particular fish one or two years, but the three survivors, (1 being obese and 2 being small, skinny, oddly shaped and failing to grow as well as being bent,) lasted until weakened by a worsening bullying problem, and the added stress involved in the removal of the bullies (fast and sneaky Gold tetras) weakened not only them but one of the Black Neons purchased later (don't know if he arrived with a problem or acquired it, as the others were OK, apart from the one dying of injuries inflicted by the bully) who had failed to grow and exhibited symptoms including progressive 'tail-dragging' - to the point where they could barely drag their tails up off the ground at all, and they were put down with clove oil before the shrimp had any opportunity to eat them alive.
I could still absolutely weep over that, especially as my big, beautiful Neons are also decidedly unwell, although getting around OK, and the wide-range antibiotic I tried in the tank, in the hope that in this case it was some other, treatable infection, killed my Amano-type algae shrimp, Nerite snail, and a number of hardy pond-type snails, although labelled as well-tolerated by invertebrates.
So - boom - down to 6 tetras and a small feeder-type guppy in my 35 gal. although my pygmy cats and the tip of my dwarf plec's tail still seem to be OK, knock wood.
I tend to get pretty attached to my fish, and I'm not good at losing them.
It's hard even to talk about it, but the warning should be given.

I know I will never knowingly buy any deformed fish again, unless I'm taking Betta culls or something.
The possible results can be devastating for all concerned.

I bought 6 White Clouds for one of my other tanks a while back, one with grossly severe spinal deformities, which was, however regretfully, put down, as I couldn't be sure she wasn't shedding organisms which could potentially affect other fish when stress of any type weakened their systems.
Healthy fish are resistant to disease - but, personally, I'd really rather not introduce avoidable potential problems into a tank with existing fish or one where others will be added.
And I wish I'd been aware of the nature and extent of these potential issues before I'd dismissed the problem as something non-contagious and exposed other fish.

There are a number of potential causes for deformity in fish - nearly all of them will bring, at best, fish susceptible to disease into your tank.
However, if the fish are being kept separately, the worst concerns don't apply, and you can provide a good home to fish most in need of one.
And if nothing ever goes wrong to lower any animal's immune system, many of these diseases are unlikely to spread.

I've just done a fast Google for what may not be the best examples, but give a general overview.
If anyone's interested, they're below.


http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/curved_spine/
Obesity, unmentioned on this site, can be another symptom, due to liver damage/internal granulation.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwater-Aqua...ish-disease.htm

... It is possible for other fish to have a disease called Neon Tetra Disease. In advanced stages it can cause a curved spine. Early symptoms of this disease is loss of colour and erratic swimming behaviour. This disease is incurable and the fish usually dies a slow painful death. ...


'Whirling disease can also affect aquarium fish.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...m/bc/170411.htm

... Myxosoma cerebralis , an important pathogen of young salmonids, is responsible for whirling disease, also known as “blacktail.” Typically, infected fingerlings show rapid tail-chasing behavior when startled, and the peduncle and tail may darken significantly. As infected fish age, skeletal deformity may result from damage to the cartilaginous structures, particularly the skull and vertebral column. Recovered fish remain carriers, and adults do not show signs, although skeletal deformities do not resolve. The disease can be prevented by purchasing uninfected breeding stock and maintaining them in an environment free of the intermediate hosts. A presumptive diagnosis of whirling disease is made by detection of spores from skulls of infected fish. Samples can be submitted to a fish disease laboratory, or procedures described by the American Fisheries Society can be followed. Diagnosis may be confirmed histologically or serologically. Whirling disease is of regulatory concern in some states. ...


http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/nutrition.shtml

... Signs of nutritional deficiencies in fish range from physical deformities, a lowered resistance to disease, lateral line erosion, loss of scales, and listlessness to physical blindness. When these problems show up in an aquarium, there is a high probability that a poor diet is to blame. Please! Vary the diet of your fish. If you only feed flake food, your fish will develop horrible, irreversible malformations and they will only live a short while! ...

... Most fish also require at least six hours of the correct spectrum of light a day to manufacture certain vitamins and to process components of their diet. Aquarium light bulbs are special bulbs that simulate the spectrum of the sun. After a year of use, the bulbs no longer produce the correct spectrum and should be replaced. ...



Chemical pollution is present within drinking water as well, and is associated with deformities.

http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/Issues/Amphibians.cfm
 
Thanks for the replies.

And that for the exception information Syphoniera!! That's the reason I didn't get any fish because although they appeared deformed, I wasn't sure if it was a result of disease. I suspect now that it could have been, as the fish was swimming vertically, it's gills were stuck out and many of it's scales didn't look too good.

The post you made is excellent and I will be referring back to it again for sure! Thanks!!
 
I have a deformed rasbora. His little face is all messed up. He has a big under bite and one eye bigger then the other. I have had him for a year and he has been like this ever since I brought him home. My other Rasboras that I got with him are all fine and pretty.

I bred mollies years ago things got out of hand they started inbreeding. One of my babies ended up swimming with her head up and tail down pretty much vertical. She looked and acted fine but she was messed up from inbreeding.

The Guppy sounds inbred for sure and that's not a problem the other fish will catch unless they breed. Then you will have lots of weird fry.

Just the other day I was stupid but I could not help myself. I bought 2 keyhole cichlids they are so cute. BUT I knew there was something not right. I tried to walk away but I just could not bring myself to leave them. SO I took them home turns out they have Gill fluke. Yeah good times I am not treating that. If they make a full recovery it will have all been worth it.

Just always quarantine your fish. Don't be stubborn and impatient like me.

It all depends go with your gut.
 
... Most fish also require at least six hours of the correct spectrum of light a day to manufacture certain vitamins and to process components of their diet. Aquarium light bulbs are special bulbs that simulate the spectrum of the sun. After a year of use, the bulbs no longer produce the correct spectrum and should be replaced. ...
Just like to say, that I think that's rubbish ;).
The UVB that fish would need to synthesise vitamin D isn't found in out "special" aquarium bulbs, and considering UVB's relatively poor ability to penetrate water along with the fact that loads and loads of our aquarium fish come from dimly lit environments...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top