Would This Hold A 50-60L Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 50-60L tank and looking for possible 'stands'. I really don't want a standard aquarium stand though so I'm trying to hunt for a piece of furniture that might be strong enough to support the weight.

Would something like this do the job, or would I have to look for something that's solid wood?

I used to have my old 60L on my chest of draws and that used to be fine.

Yea easily, most tanks are made of MDF so that will more than suit.

Dont know about yours Adamhawk but mines made out of glass !!!,sorry couldn,t resist ,just think a tank made out of MDF would,nt see lot wood ya sorry again

My daughter has a 130lt on something very similar. So yes.

I'd say it'd hold, but it's a bit overpriced :p

My stand cost me $75 but it's very nice. Solid wood, stained a nice brown color with a shelf and a magnetic pop open drawer thingy.

I know your example is going to be a little stronger as it's pine but I had my 48 litre sitting on a chest of draws made from MDF and it was bending pretty badly so I ended up buying a stand anyway. If I were you I'd just play it safe and get solid wood or a proper stand. Just my opinion and lol at webbie you beat me to it :lol:

I used to have a hex tank which i reckon was about 40l and i had it on some drawers this design but mdf n it rocked like hell after a few months but i had another tank a bit bigger on a drawer unit which had 2 sets of drawers in so had a piece of wood running down between the smaller and bigger drawers if that makes sense with no problems and i still have those drawers 5 years later. The others were binned after my oh had a good rant that my stupid tank had broken the drawers lol

Thanks for all the replies, they're very much appriciated. I'd prefer not to have a tank stand for aesthetic reasons, though I guess it would be the safest option.

jenjen_82: Having that extra bit of wood down the middle must have given more support.

Any idea about this one? It's a bit cheaper, but does have real wood unlike the other one (more to spend on the tank itself :rolleyes: )

Thanks for all the help & advice ;)

Thanks for all the replies, they're very much appriciated. I'd prefer not to have a tank stand for aesthetic reasons, though I guess it would be the safest option.

jenjen_82: Having that extra bit of wood down the middle must have given more support.

Any idea about this one? It's a bit cheaper, but does have real wood unlike the other one (more to spend on the tank itself :rolleyes: )

I'd use the first one. If you want to know why have a look at the way the top of each one is mounted to the sides. The first one (the £69 one) has the top resting on the top of the side pieces but the second example has the top mounted between the side pieces and looks like the only things holding your fish tank up would be four screws!

i bought my stand from Maidenhead Aquatics in Carlisle

got a proper fish tank stand / cabinet. I just bought the size up from my tank, ie my tanks 90L yet my stand is for a 125L so i have a nice 2 inch of wood all round my tank. It was supposed to be about £150 but as it was a display model and 1 of the door handles was coming loose i managed to get it for £90!

Its a lovely pine cabinet aswell, bargain if you ask me!

I'd use the first one. If you want to know why have a look at the way the top of each one is mounted to the sides. The first one (the £69 one) has the top resting on the top of the side pieces but the second example has the top mounted between the side pieces and looks like the only things holding your fish tank up would be four screws!
Definitely a good point

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought - 4 screws don't sound much at all :unsure:

Anyone know where I might be able to get a good sturdy piece of furniture from which would easily hold the tank that isn't too pricey?

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought - 4 screws don't sound much at all :unsure:

Anyone know where I might be able to get a good sturdy piece of furniture from which would easily hold the tank that isn't too pricey?
Tried looking round any ex-catalogue shops?

Most reactions

Back