Would This Be Unsafe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Truck

UKAPS
Reaction score
well im buying an external filter in a few weeks and i will be fitting lily pipes, and so the tank doesnt look ugly would it be safe to cut into the rim? (not the glass) the plastic rim, its a rio btw (125)

Would it not look uglier with cuts in the rim? Why do you want to cut into the rim anyway?

AC

they will be on the non-visible side, because the flaps will obstruct the lily pipes, and i can cut the flaps but then they will stick out the top so if i cut into the rim the lily pipes will not be visible from the top

I suppose you could. Never really thought about it. I cut the original canopy when I first got mine.

Lily pipes work better from the side pushing along the length rather than the depth anyway!!!

AC

I'm not sure what to say then. I know George stripped the rim off his Juwel 125 and then stuck a luminaire over it. That solved the lily pipes problem. lol

My Fluval 125 never had a rim but is the same measurements I think.

AC

yeah ive seen georges tank, i wish i bought a rimless tank now, but im going to email juwel and ask them if it is a safety factor

They will say it is but George's wasn't rimless. He took the rim off it.

If you are worried then empty it and silicon a brace in the centre, then refill 24 hours later.

If I look down at my front and rear glass they 'bow' when the water gets about 75% full!!!! The Fluval Uno/Duo never came with braces nor rims. Not been a problem though. George says his bows as well.

AC

Most reactions

Back