Would a different species of tetra school?

G_Sharky

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Let's say would a neon and a cardinal school together the same way as different species of cory's would? I'm really limited with space as you could see in my sig, i'm just wondering what other species of tetra would go with the bloodfin to cover the upper part of my tank...

Sometimes mixed tetras will school together, it depends how threatened they feel, and with those cichlids, they would, quite rightly, feel threatened. As those grow, regardless of the small fishes behaviour, they are likely to be hunted.

Neons and Cardinals are actually more lower half of the tank swimmers.

Neons or cardinals only school when they feel threatened. What I have found works is to put a fish that is slightly bigger than them, but will not attack them. I have Harlequin Rasboras in my 55 gallon tank, which often school alot. There are 2 angelfish in there as well. The angels just kind of her the rasboras and forces the to school. The rasboras are not even threatened at all by them. On the contrary, I have Cardinal tetras in another tank and I keep a dwarf gourami in there as well. Although they did school alot at first, becuase of the gourami, now they don't feel threatened at all by it and often just swim next to him. :D

All my Tetras school so far. Although I've only had some for a week, some for half a day! :)

Anyway For a week I had just 6 Rummys and 6 Neons with more than enough swimming room. They both do everything in schools.

Today I added 6 silver tips and they immediately JOINED the school of Rummys. Now they don't seem to school as one large group all the time, but they do seem to spend a lot of time as one bick pack of fast swimmers ripping back and forth in the current together.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back