Worst Advice ever.... go!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Okay - I know I am NOT the only one who has received downright awful advice from an LFS or another fishkeeper.

So - tell us your worst.

GO.

“About 12-15 neon tetra….” When asking what we could put in an 8 ltr super-nano tank my granddaughter was given…

Let your filter run for about a week before adding fish. No mention about feeding the cycle or anything. And a couple male killi fish will be great together

'Oh chinese algae eaters are great for a community fish tank. Get 2-3, they are cheap and good'

Little did I know they grew like crazy and wrecked most of my plants. Rehomed them to my local LFS

I'll add mine periodically.

Once I had an LFS employee tell me "You simply cannot keep mollies together. They will attack and kill eachvother, so I do not recommend buying multiples but if you really want them you can have them."

I then pointed to the tank of approximately 1 million mollies, swimming happily together and said "So, uh, if that were to be true then why do you keep them all together.......?". They moved on at that point and gave me what I asked for.

Use another aquarium owner's substrate & used filter medium to speed up my cycle. Well that's great, I just introduced disgusting detritus worms and scud to my aquarium! A not a single fish I own eats them!

In the past I've heard frequently a very dumb remark about breeding guppies by employees at an lfs. They said that no matter which color female you use, it's the male that will pass on his traits onto the offspring. That's the dumbest remark you can make regarding guppy breeding. The correct info would be that a male's traits will only entirely or mostly be passed on when a female is recessive for the traits of her own strain. But most females also carry dominant genes (no matter that coloration, bodyshape, finnage) as well. Which makes the remark of those stores a very dumb remark.

One time someone at my local fish store told me that I could put five African Cichlids in a 20 gallon hexagon tank with my soft water :)

When consulting a different worker about gH and kH she told me to slow down and ask what it was. Then proceeded to explain any fish could live in any water type and it didn’t matter.

One time someone at my local fish store told me that I could put five African Cichlids in a 20 gallon hexagon tank with my soft water :)

When consulting a different worker about gH and kH she told me to slow down and ask what it was. Then proceeded to explain any fish could live in any water type and it didn’t matter.
Like things in life there's a wee bit of truth in both conversations. For African cichlids water quality may not be as crucial as once thought...unless you actually got the cichlids from the actual African lakes. Most of the fish at LFS are generally from U.S,. breeders, and I'm pretty sure they don't adjust their water chemistry to match African Lakes. I would be more concerned about the number of fish in a appropriate sized tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back