Worried About My Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

drsmooth

Reaction score
HI there,

I currently have a 22l aqua nano tank and I bought a Betta fish yesterday. I brought him home everything seemed great but this morning I woke up to find find that he keeps going to the grills where the water goes out to get to the filter and the carbon etc.. is this normal?  IMG_0654 (1).JPG

He seems to go there even when I panic and turn everything off. As I'm writing this he has only just moved down to the other side and bottom of the tank. I currently have the pump on medium flow is this to fast for him? he also hasn't eaten any of the fish flakes that I gave him this morning is it that he just doesn't like them or that he is new to his home and it will take time?

Sorry for all the questions any help will be greatly appreciated 

Hi, it does appear the flow is too strong for him, bettas don't like too much flow and they are hindered by their big fins so I would turn it right down and see how he gets on, also flakes are not ideal for bettas, floating pellets are better and to perhaps get him settled he may love some frozen bloodworm that can be defrosted and fed, only a few mind as they are little piggies! He needs a bit more time to settle down some take time to begin eating when they have a new home, he is lovely though, where did you find him 
wub.png

Also just checking the tank is cycled? what temp do you have it at?

Hi drsmooth,

Welcome to the forum. I had a similar issue when I set up my daughters tank. I turned down the flow rate on the filter and he settled in a treat. I feed him with mainly betta flake with odd "sweety" thrown in, it did however take a few days before he would start eating after the move. 4 months later and he is loving life even comes to the surface waiting when it is breakfast time. It is important to make sure you don't overfeed.

Richard.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back