Worms Inside Filtration System

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mark4785

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

Today I took a look inside my Blagdon filtration system and found numerous horrible worms/leeches crawling up the side of the vertical wall separating each chamber. I have taken 2 photographs and inserted them below; how do I prevent them from getting within the filtration system and could they potentially harm cold water fish?

Click the image below to resize.

Would appreciate any information regarding how compatible these worms/leeches are with fish.

hi
the pic isnt the best can you get a better one

they are more then likely gnat larvea or mozzie larvea these wont hurt the fish ,the fish love to eat them
i have these in my filter too i will try and get a pic later

got a pic as two larvea where sat on the vortex lip do they look like this
DSCF5491.jpg

hi
the pic isnt the best can you get a better one

they are more then likely gnat larvea or mozzie larvea these wont hurt the fish ,the fish love to eat them
i have these in my filter too i will try and get a pic later

got a pic as two larvea where sat on the vortex lip do they look like this
DSCF5491.jpg

Yes, they do look like that, possibly slightly smaller. How are they getting through and into the filter system? I don't really want the fish to be eating anything other than what I put in myself.

hi

they are tiny :hyper: took this pic with macro on so can get with millimeters off the critter with the lense

they get into the filters via the pond the females lay their eggs into the pond surface,the eggs are so tiny they will easily get into the filter or if you have no lid on the filter they will lay them there :crazy:

as for not letting the fish eat them sorry youve no choice none of us have, they are a natural food so the fish will get the protiens, minerals and vitamins they need, :good:
they dont just hatch in the filter but in the pond as well... you think your fish a grazing on algea, rummaging and digging in what ever they can find because they like it.... what they like is whats living in it

tip....... if you have a lid on the filter leave a gap so they can escape as they emerge ,there nothing worse then lifting the lid and getting hit in the face with a million gnats :sick:

Ok, thank you very much for the advice. :D

You can put a fine net just under the surface of the water in the filter. The larvae need to breath air and this will prevent them from reaching the surface drowning them.

Most reactions

Back