🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

What Should I Name Her?

• Blue Ray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grace

• Survivor

• Aphrodite (Greek Goddess of love, beauty, & pleasure)

• Total voters

MisssMarie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, a schoolmate just told me she has a betta. In 3 cups of water. She won't get it a new tank, it's never had a heater, or filter and it lives in her room. Just a note, she keeps her room at about 60 degrees, year round. I'm not sure how it's still alive. How can I convince her to give me the betta? She adores it, but doesn't believe it needs a better house. I have a month to convince her to give me the betta. I say a month because any sooner, and the only place I'd have to put it is a one gallon old pickle jar I use to hold things - and quarantine inverts like shrimp or snails. So, I'm assuming it would be best to wait until I can get it a proper tank, although, i'm not entirely sure. Oh, and she says she loves to see it flare. I asked how she gets it to flare. Her answer was to poke it with a spoon and harass it. How can I convince her? Should I leave it with her for the next month if she does agree, or should I just put it in the jar?! I'm sincerely worried about the thing...

Edit:
Adding A Picture to help with the poll:
78e0e7bc.jpg

My main question is, will it be fine in the 1 gallon jar? I mean, i know right now, the poor thing is in hell. She does daily water changes, has never heard of ammonia, or even water conditioner... I have no clue how its survived the 2 months so far!

Note:
I have never seen the betta, I don't even know if its male or female, and she has been known to improve conditions when she talks. For all I know, its still in the cup it comes in...

It will be fine in the one gallon for a short period of time, I recommend water changes of 1 50% and one 100% water changes weekly to the ammonia down

Alright, god I pity this fish.,. Shes not sure if it's a male or female?! I asked if the fins are big. She just said big is a relative term so she didn't know!

honestly, I would pay that girl $20 to give me that fish, that is just horrible and after I got it I would just slap her in the face, I wonder if that falls under animal cruelty? :<

honestly, I would pay that girl $20 to give me that fish, that is just horrible and after I got it I would just slap her in the face, I wonder if that falls under animal cruelty? :<

If I had any money, I would. I'm down to less than $1

MisssMarie, you have a very kind heart to want to help that Betta! I wish everyone would see the preciousness in a Betta's life like you do!

I can't believe she is keeping him in those conditions and poking him to make him flare!!! How old is she? Two? I'm sorry, but I think your friend is either an immature person or has a cruel streak!

Are you sure she is not willing to learn and improve? What if you were to help her plan how to make his living condition a beautiful one? Show her some pictures of nice Betta tanks! I'm sure there are plenty right here on this forum!

I offered her water conditioner, betta food (instead of goldfish flakes), and a 1 gallon container. She got offended....
Looks like I'm gonna steal it. I hope it's a female! If so, she can go in quarintine for a month then join my sorority tank girls... I hope to steal him/her in the next 2 weeks

Good luck. She sounds cruel x( I'd put poking it with a spoon to see it flare counts as animal cruelty. I'd take it off her too. You are very kind.

To me, personally, there's not really a choice. If I see something being abused, I have to do something... I've always had to. I've yelled at a guy who was beating his horse, and showed him how to properly put the horse in the stall.
I'll post pics as soon as I get it... I'm going to give it the life it deserves... I hope it's not too sick, I've got a good basic first aid kit that should get me through the worst but yeah... I think I can fix most of the stuff, especially with your guys help!
Oh, btw, she's not my friend. I'm friends with her sister who didn't realize she had a fish. she's going to snag me the fish and say it died and bring it to me this week or next week

Im having a similer exp ( besides the spoon pokeing) my friends want some of my betta fry i asked if they have set up the tank to start cycleing they said yes and then they told another friend that they r gonna dump the bettas in normal tap water ! Im gonna have a serious go! They arnt getting any fish from me until they learn i gave them some platy fry and they bought a truck load of fish from my lfs they all died with in 2 weeks they got velvet apparently and they didnt bother treating it instead left it to see what happened but im not sure whether it was velvet or paint poisioning from the ornement that wasnt fish friendly considering the paint came straight off when they put it in there !

Anyway she can see your lot? might make her reconsider seeing how happy yours are :)

Failing that steal it! tell her it died and you got rid of it so she didn't get upset

Once my friend left his Betta in a small cup during one of his bi-weekly water changes (that poor betta) for 4-5 hours while he went to do something and when he returned the betta had committed suicide, but it was still alive so he put it back in it's "tank" (1/3 gallon bowl) I'd steal it except the fact he's my neighbor and my best friend. I've offered him tons of stuff to help (including my 1 gallon bowl, an airpump, an internal filter I bought for $1 at a garage sale, and he's declined all of it.) at least he uses dechlorinator and doesn't poke it with a spoon. He does picket up with a spoon though to move it from it's cup back to it's bowl. I should steal it too, except for the fact he'd easily find out.

Would you consider trying to convince her one more time before you steal it away?

Maybe try showing her pictures or videos of your fish, or maybe even ask her to come over to hang out, if it wouldn't be too awkward, so she can 'accidentally' see your bettas (or maybe just saying HEY WANNA SEE MY FISHIES would be enough to hook her in, I dunno)? A video or letting her see them would be good because she'd be able to compare her bettas to yours - she will probably notice that yours are more lively looking, and that watching them inspect their large tanks is cute. Basically, you need to try to show her the visible difference between a well kept betta and a poorly kept one.

Maybe just try showing her some cool websites to see that its not just you who 'disagrees' with her fish keeping ways, but even the experts. Although I don't like the site owner (she's a bit of a scam with what she sells), the Betta Talk website is interesting and convincing to betta newbies, and so is Betty Splendens. I just did a bit of a search and I think Nippy Fish might be the easiest one to hook her with.

Most reactions

Back