Woods Avoiding A Tea Coloured Tank ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JCorvinus

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
In the past i have used a variety of driftwoods in my tank , however after soaking in boiling water etc for several days , 

which did reduce tannins and stain considerably , eventually my tanks still went yellow , 

how is this best avoided , 

buy , pricey pre treated wood ? or is there a simple yet elegant solution that no one has told me yet ?

you comments would be appreciated 

How long is "several days"? When I prepared to add my mopani driftwood, I set it in a container of water and changed the water daily. It took me over a week before the water was clear after twenty-four hours of soaking. This is really the only way to do it, as far as I know. Changing the water and soaking for at least seven days before adding to the tank should take care of any excess tannin. 

You could add some charcoal (or Purigen) to your filter; that will absorb most, if not all, the tannins.

Or you could just get used to it; it's not a problem for most fish, and some (neons, rams; it's why they're so brightly coloured) much prefer tannin stained water.

I see you have a Betta, they like the water like this, but Seachem Prime will help remove it, as well as the regular WC's as mentioned.
What is your reason for wanting it gone?

It's just a case of soaking the wood longer and changing the water that it's sat in :)

As Fluttermoth has said though, carbon would work but personally, I'd just try and get used to it for now. It will eventually go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back