What's new

Woods Avoiding A Tea Coloured Tank ?

JCorvinus

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
In the past i have used a variety of driftwoods in my tank , however after soaking in boiling water etc for several days , 

which did reduce tannins and stain considerably , eventually my tanks still went yellow , 

how is this best avoided , 

buy , pricey pre treated wood ? or is there a simple yet elegant solution that no one has told me yet ?

you comments would be appreciated 

attibones

Reaction score
How long is "several days"? When I prepared to add my mopani driftwood, I set it in a container of water and changed the water daily. It took me over a week before the water was clear after twenty-four hours of soaking. This is really the only way to do it, as far as I know. Changing the water and soaking for at least seven days before adding to the tank should take care of any excess tannin. 

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
You could add some charcoal (or Purigen) to your filter; that will absorb most, if not all, the tannins.

Or you could just get used to it; it's not a problem for most fish, and some (neons, rams; it's why they're so brightly coloured) much prefer tannin stained water.

RCA

Reaction score
I see you have a Betta, they like the water like this, but Seachem Prime will help remove it, as well as the regular WC's as mentioned.
What is your reason for wanting it gone?

Joshwainwright

I take my fish for walks
Reaction score
It's just a case of soaking the wood longer and changing the water that it's sat in :)

As Fluttermoth has said though, carbon would work but personally, I'd just try and get used to it for now. It will eventually go.