Wood shrimp feeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I made my first shrimp purchase yesterday. Two wood shrimp. This piece of wood goes up to a couple of inches below where the water flows out of the filter. I know they need to catch their food in the moving water so Iā€™m hoping this is good enough! I can make adjustments if anyone thinks I need to. They seem pretty happy so far and Iā€™m really enjoying watching them. Any tips on other things they like would be appreciated ?

Attachments

• E288D23E-79B2-4FB5-8DAF-C1BAFDD7DD9B.jpeg
    E288D23E-79B2-4FB5-8DAF-C1BAFDD7DD9B.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 55
  • B9A4F7E2-57AB-48E2-B08E-1BA04A61AEFA.jpeg
    B9A4F7E2-57AB-48E2-B08E-1BA04A61AEFA.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 56
You can just feed them pellets/flakes, they will find them. You could drop them right near the filter, so it pushes them down to the shrimp.

They're fun to keep, but hopefully, your water column has plenty of nutrients/microorganisms, they feed constantly, and don't do well in newer tanks....flakes/micropellets are the best foods to offer them, IME

They'll hide for a few days when they molt, so don't be surprised if they disappear very now and then...and the molts look just like them, so don't freak out the first time you see one like I did, lol...though they died

Congrats on the newbies

They're fun to keep, but hopefully, your water column has plenty of nutrients/microorganisms, they feed constantly, and don't do well in newer tanks....flakes/micropellets are the best foods to offer them, IME

They'll hide for a few days when they molt, so don't be surprised if they disappear very now and then...and the molts look just like them, so don't freak out the first time you see one like I did, lol...though they died

Congrats on the newbies
They actually went crazy swimming all over the tank last night for hours. I saw a couple of people say online that it might be a sign of molting. Theyā€™ve also gone missing today. Maybe not though because it seems odd theyā€™d both do it at the same time! Iā€™ve got a tarantula so Iā€™m used to the moults ?

These shrimp require a.somewhat "dirty" tank, in the sense that there is the right balance of tank params and floating food in the water column. They do require flow. They do not last long in newly established tanks. They only live a year or 2 as it is. Lots less in a new tank.

Feed them dissolved brine shrimp. Take a small.cup of tank.water, drop a.cube in and let it dissolve, then pour it into the flowing water when they are fanning in it. That is the best way. Can do it with shrimp pellets as well I suppose.

These shrimp require a.somewhat "dirty" tank, in the sense that there is the right balance of tank params and floating food in the water column. They do require flow. They do not last long in newly established tanks. They only live a year or 2 as it is. Lots less in a new tank.

Feed them dissolved brine shrimp. Take a small.cup of tank.water, drop a.cube in and let it dissolve, then pour it into the flowing water when they are fanning in it. That is the best way. Can do it with shrimp pellets as well I suppose.
Iā€™ll do that thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back