With Halloween Approaching.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 149562

What local legends, ghost stories or personal experiences of things that go bump in the night have you heard, know about or had?

Just to preface this. I don't really believe in the paranormal, Ghosts and such seem unlikely and most "haunting's" have logical explanations. That being said though I have a few good personal stories that fit the bill :)

Puddle of Blood:
So me and my partner had moved into our current house and been there for a couple of months. One night she wakes me up in a bit of a panic because there is a pool of blood on her pillow, probably about the same size as the palm of my hand and still wet, it is also down the side of her face where she was laying in it.

At the time my daughter was still sleeping in our bedroom in a cot so we go out of the room and I clean her face really carefully looking for where the hell all this blood has come from. I do have some "advanced" first aid training so kind of know what to look for. There is no blood in or around her ears, nose, mouth or eyes, just on her cheek and jaw where she laid on it.

I spend quite a long time checking through her hair, her neck, even her hands and arms. Cant find a single mark on her or any signs of blood except that on her cheek. She hadn't been coughing or vomiting so wasn't internal and even then for the amount of blood I would have expected to see it on her lips/mouth if it was.

I even checked the roof/ceiling and mattress to see if something had maybe leaked but don't find nothing.

This was several years ago and never happened again since. The next morning I checked her over again during the day but not a single mark on her. We have absolutely NO idea where this blood came from.

Kids are freaky:
Same house, this was maybe a year ago, my daughter is 4 now and in her own room. We still have a camera/monitor in her room because she sleeps one floor above us and we are both heavy sleepers.

Anyway about 4am she calls out for Mommy. Mommy goes up to see if she is ok and I'm listening over the monitor.
Daughter: "Mommy, why does my light keep coming on it woke me up"?
Mommy: "You mean the red light on the fire alarm?"
Daughter: "No, My big light, it is making shadows on the walls."
Mommy: "you must have been dreaming lovely, go back to sleep".
Daughter - Looking past Mommy at the partly open bedroom door "Who is that outside in the hall?"
Mommy: "Nobody lovely, everyone is asleep".
Daughter: "No Mommy, there is, they were poking their head around the door, their face was white".
Daughter: "Can I come sleep with you and Daddy"?
Mommy -"Yes, yes you can, lets go".

I've got quite a few more, will post them up when I get time.

Nope, never experienced anything like the above!!

The paranormal has never came in contact with me before.

This happened to a co-driver of mine when he was doing a friend a favour covering for another driver. Not sure what he actually saw, but he flatly refused to drive down the specific road ever again

Very bad weather, full on thunderstorm and around 11pm at night.

He was driving the truck back to the yard at the end of a normal drive to a slaughterhouse (we used to collect offal etc from slaughterhouses used in pet food). He came to a large T junction and would normally turn left and drive down the then new Finedon bypass. But he said that on the grass verge infront of him was a lady, dressed in what appeared to be a Victorian era red dress and bonnet and she kept pointing to the right.

Unsure what was going on and with heavy rain battering down, he decided to go right thinking it might be someone needing help with a broken down car.....he thought maybe she was dressed for a costume party...

He turned right, which took him down the old route back to the yard. He kept an eye open for a car in trouble but found nothing. Got back to the yard, locked the truck up and went home.

Next morning I was having breakfast at home before leaving for the yard and he called me, absolutely frantic.

"Have you seen the local paper this morning?"

"No" I replied "not yet...why?"

"There was a bad accident last night, a tree fell onto a car on the new bypass and killed the driver and passenger"

"Oh thats nasty" I said

"No..no..you don't understand...last night I saw a lady dressed in a big old fashioned red dress and hat at the T junction and she was insistant that I did not take the bypass.....she kept pointing at me to take the old road"

"So...?" I replied

"It was at the same time that the tree fell......who the heck was she?....she saved my life, that could have been me crushed by the tree!"

I understood why he was so upset by all of this, so I looked into it.

Back in February 1893 a young 26 year old lady called Louisa Sophia Johnson was murdered on her way home from the railway station. The bypass was built over where the station once was and the route that she would have taken from there to her cottage and it is local legend that her ghost can often be found on that bypass T junction warning people of impending accidents and death.

Whether my co-driver saw Louisa or not, who can say, but the experiences frightened him so much that he absolutely refused to drive that route ever again.

Ok had lunch and have 10 mins to kill while waiting on some updates so couple more stories.

Low flying Micro UFO
So this was about maybe 8 or 9 years ago. We had parked our car a couple of roads away from were we lived and were walking to go get into it it. It was the middle of a sunny summer day in a built up town area.

As we come around the corner onto the street our car was on we see a black object floating between 2 houses out into the street. It was about 15-20ft up and about 100ft away.

It was solid black and maybe 1-2ft across and very thin (5mm-1cm at most), roughly square/rectangle shaped. We both noticed it and couldn't make out what it was.

First thoughts were that it was a plastic bag floating in the wind, despite the fact it was a summer day and there was very little breeze.

As we got closer it carried on floating down the road at a slow pace. Even when I was stood directly under it (so it was only about 10-14ft above me) I could not make out any details other than it was black, thin and rectangular. If you have ever seen something that is Vantablack coated you know what I was looking at. Absolutely no light reflections, no details, just this small, light absorbing, black rectangle.

It didn't make any noise and it continued hovering at the same height. We watched it float all the way down the road for about 10 minutes and over some houses. During all this time it moved at the same slow speed and didn't rapidly change height once (like it would if it was just something caught by the wind). Just checked the length of the road on Googlemaps and its between 400-500 meters long we watched it move for.

I really regret never having taken photo's or video of it. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. At the time though we both kind of thought we would figure out what it was any minute and it wouldn't really be a big deal (you don't get your phone out to take a photo of a floating carrier bag...). It was only afterwards when we both realised we had no clue what we had just seen that I thought about pictures. I have always laughed at people that claimed to see UFO's and didn't even get a blurry phone picture but it seriously never even once crossed our minds as we was so convinced we would suddenly figure out what we was seeing.

I have searched for similar stories or even an object that would match the description but never found anything. It definitely was not a drone and it wasn't something just being held up by the wind. There was no propellers and no noise at all from it.

My weird childhood home.
So I have a ton of little stories of things that happened in my childhood home while I was growing up. My Mum still lives there and so did my Nephew for awhile and apparently nothing has really happened since I moved out many years ago.

Few highlights below but "oddness" kind of just became normal when you grow up with it.

One time I was having a shower and 5p coin "fell" from somewhere into the bath at my feet. There was no shelves that someone could have left 5p on and nowhere it could have come from. This was before the new tiny 5p coins came in as well so was a fairly large coin.

Tv's that I had in my bedroom used to switch channels and turn on and off when I was around all the time. More than one type of TV over a period of a few years did this. My Mum sleeps in that room now and has just recently replaced her bedroom TV because it kept switching channels and bringing up the Menu screen.

You could leave a room and come back moments later to find cupboards/drawers open. Not just slightly open but like a whole chest of drawers and a cupboard fully open in the space of maybe 2 minutes with nobody else being in the house.

Once I was building a new PC and was having problems with it crashing constantly. I had been working on it for quite some time and couldn't find what the issue was. The doorbell rang so I went to answer it and there was nobody there (this happened on a fairly regular basis too). When I went back to the computer (which had been turned off at the time) it was turned on and in one of the bios settings for system voltages. One of them had been set wrong as I had forgot to change it when I had been doing some overclocking. To get to this setting would have taken several keystrokes and it wasn't an automatic thing.

Talking of doorbells they used to go off by themselves all the time (multiple models of doorbell tried over a period of years). The worst one was a battery operated wireless one that was supposed to just go "ding dong". However any time there was lightening it would go off by itself and play Greensleeves instead. Creepy as hell when it happens at 4am in the morning.
(Sounded a lot like this:
)

Things went missing all the time and would turn up in unexpected places (like keys going missing from the key hook and turning up in the middle of a pile of folded towels).

As a kid just, after my Dad died, my "Auntie" (Close Friend of my Mum) who claimed to be a spiritualist medium bought me a silver cross on a necklace for "protection" and told me to keep it on me at all times.

One day, a few years later, I was in my room messing about swinging it around when I accidentally let go. I saw the direction it went in and watched it fly through the air, but I never saw it land (in what would have been an open, clear, space). That cross and chain were never found despite me spending a long time looking for it for fear of getting told off for losing an expensive gift. Even after the room was completely emptied later to be redecorated it was never found.

Very often at night I used to stay up late to watch TV as a kid/Teen and would hear people walking down the stairs only for there to be nobody there and everyone else to be in bed asleep.

I once saw the shadowy outline of someone standing in the corner of the bedroom when I was in bed with the lights out.

Another time when I was in bed with the lights out and I saw 2 red "lights". If you think what a small red LED would look like it was about the same. However they where set horizontally about 2 inches apart and about 1ft above where I had a unit with a empty/clear counter top. I had nothing in the room that had any kind of light on and the counter top had been clear both when I went to bed and when I got up in the morning the next day. There was nothing there that could have reflected light from outside even if the curtains had been open. Think "beady red glowing eyes of a small creature sitting on the unit watching me" and you get the idea of what I thought I was seeing.

When I was very young (maybe between 8-10) I have memories of hearing people talking "in the walls" as if there was a loud conversation happening in the next room, even when everyone else in the house was in the same room as me.

And...this is why I sleep in my mom’s bedroom...

Waiting more story to come ;)

Now this story is a tragic and true one, its a story with a twist that indirectly lead to a change in legislation. Its something I studied at length both at the time of the event and its aftermath.

It starts at JFK on 29th December 1972. An Eastern Airlines L1011 Tristar took off on a routine flight to Miami with 173 passengers and crew on board.

Flight 401 was an uneventful flight, no issues en-route to Miami until the pilot started his decent into Miami. A small green light indicating that his nose gear was down and locked would not light up. After much prodding and pressing, still the light refused to work. The pilot sent the flight engineer into the well, an area reached by ladder down to the nose landing gear bay to check visually if the gear was down and locked. It was close to midnight and he could not see well enough. The decision was made to delay landing and a request was made to circle a while to get the light working, permission was given and the flight circled over the Everglades.

The flightcrew were so distracted by fixing the light that they did not realise that the airliner, still on autopilot decent, was gradually getting lower and lower. Being over the Everglades there were no external visual references like street lights to warn of the proximity to the ground until the klaxons went off.....by which time it was too late. The airliner went down in the Everglades, miles from anywhere. A total of 101 on board never made it out, including the flightcrew.

The accident was blamed on the distraction of the light not working...discovered to be a blown lightbulb afterwards.

The twist was unexpected. Many people questioned whether it was co-incidence or was it the ghost of the pilot?

Back when this happened, parts from crashed aircraft were often reused if deemed to be safe/undamaged. The galley ovens on flight 401 were repurposed on other aircraft.

Soon reports started to come in of cabin crew being terrified or thinking that their imaginations were running wild.

Accounts of cabin crew "seeing" the face of the dead pilot as a reflection in the oven door glass started, initially it was all dismissed as crazy. But then this vision of his face went further. He would tell cabin crew that the aircraft was about to suffer a malfunction and to go tell their pilot. Again initially it was dismissed until these warnings actually materialised as reality, several times warning messages of an engine problem or other physical issue came true within moments of the warning messages. It got so bad that cabin crew and flight crew alike refused to fly specific aircraft where these recycled parts from 401 had been installed, as a result all those parts were removed and scrapped.

This case, and others like it, eventually lead to parts from crashed airliners to never be reused on other airliners again.

A film was made in 1978 about the crash....and the ghost stories that followed

But...was it co-incidence...or was it the pilot's ghost?

Colin, I will always remember when that
7A4B63FC-3AE8-4B2B-B2D0-F2F9AF875F79.jpeg
security cam caught you. It made international news

Most reactions

Back