Wise's Burton Dasset

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Verminator89

Jack Dempsey Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully this goes well :nod: 4 Hours of scaping and posting complete :)

Due to the delivery of my new 280L, i've had to move my 180L to where my 70L is, and thus the 70L had to be moved. That gave me the opertunity to start this previous "test" planted tank up for good. Right thats the confusing bit done with. So having had this tank as a tester before i went through mixed phases of success followed by failure. Now i've stumbled upon my own little formulae for reasonable success (without it being a disaster. So i'm setting this tank up to be a 'final project', i hope.

So it started with the decomission of the tank how it was, and i set about placing the hardscape in. I used some of the slate i bought for my Jack Dempsey Journal as a basic attempt at a rock formation. After having a little play around i couldnt really get the 'striking' and 'prominent' peak i was hoping for. However, i settled on the best i could manage and this is what i left it as. One thing to note would be that i know i have a thick gravel bed, this is deliberate. I wasnt so keen on having as much open water above, and didnt want to reduce the water line, so a thick substrate it was.

DSC_0001.jpg

Seeing as this tank was already set up and i achieved moderate success with the plants and balance (toward the end) i am keeping everything the same. Some adjustments will be made along the way, one being CO2 system, and the ferts i use to dose.

Lighting
x2 24W T5HO [Lights on 12pm till 7pm] <-- Going by US gallons i work that out at 2.6WPG (correct?)

CO2
I'm currently running a TMC AquaGro CO2 starter kit + 2ml EasyLife EasyCarbo daily. I'm upgrading to a DIY CO2 Fire Extinguisher which i'm currently just awaiting my regulator + solenoid and i'm good to go on that front.

Ferts
2ml Easylife Profito x3 weekly (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday after WC) I'll be changing to another brand that doses Macro + Micro as i've just realised Profito doesnt dose N or P :crazy:

Plants
Lots of HC Cuba
1 Plantlet of Cryptocornye Parva
x3 (approx) Echindorus Tenellus (Assumption, i bought it unlabelled, anyone ID confirm for me?)
x2 Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi)
x2 Rotala Nanjenshan
x2 Micranthemum Umbrosum (i think, lost the Tropica label)

All the plants are from the tank previously and i salvaged what i could. I didnt re-use all the HC because it still had small under-nurished leaves which had algae growing on. I'd since adjusted and new growth was lush and green and spreading fast. This is what i mean by i stumbled on a formulae which is working for me currently. After separating what was good growth i began the painstaking task of planting HC bit by bit in tiny portions. The HC i'm hoping won't take too long to fill out, as the growth before i took it all out was promising and was spreading nicely.

DSC_0005.jpg

Next i planted all the other plants. Rotala and Micranthemum in the rear behind the rock. With the Downoi and Tenellus in front of the formation in clusters spread around. I focussed the Tenellus toward the front left corner and the Downoi mainly in the centre corner of the rocks. I'm hoping this will grow in well.

DSC_0006.jpg

So thats planting done. With a few adjustments i should have my routine set up nicely in the next week or two, hopefully before any algae sets in. So heres a final shot of the hardscape, and a FTS. Apologies for the cloudisness as i disturbed the filter somewhat before turning it on, made the mistake of shaking it too soon and it threw out loads of dirt. Also the residents will be back in later this week, maybe next week. I'm going to give the tank time to settle down as i well and truely stirred up the substrate when redoing all this.

Residents
Japonica Shrimp & Cherry Shrimp
13 Sunset Platy fry [temporary untill they grow]

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Comments and critiques welcome. Suggestions wouldnt go a miss either :p

Cheers;
James

Looks great, will be following :good:

I'd be inclined to put some crypts in there, mid sized ones...

I had crypts in it before i took it dismantled it, and i've had them for about 5 years now. I've just gone off them for a while. I've got them floating in my 3ft downstairs currently, so i will use them in future just not sure where. Although in saying that the only crypt i'd be inclined to add more of currently would be some more pots of Cryptorcoryne Parva, always loved that plant.

I quite like it. reminds me of my little tank. lol

However bu that I only mean small hardscape in one corner :)

Keep us updated. looks nice.

AC

Yes the rocks arent quite as i'd like them to be. I didnt have any bigger more interesting rocks so i had to make do with this. The main idea is to have a sweeping bank of HC with that little planted corner. Thats the aim, we shall have to see how it grows out. My main issue is algae on the glass. I'm anticipating a thick green covering on the back in the next week or so as it happens in all my tanks.

I'm wondering if 2ml EasyLife Profito might be too much x3 weekly currently. I shall leave ferts this week and start next week. CO2 and lights are easy. Dosing ferts is such a ball ache to get right. I'm thinking i'll try 2ml x2 weekly as of next week, with a view to changing to a better fert as soon as the paycheck agrees with my needs :)

James

Easylife do n and p in separate bottles, greenmachine have an offer on it at the moment. Be good to see how this grows up.

I went to Shirley Aquatics in Shirley near Birmingham and they have good healthy plants on sale whenever i go in. I asked what they dose and he told me EasyLife EasyCarbo and Profito. So i bought them, and thats all i dose. I've had ok results, but i know i'm lacking two of the big three you need when dosing ferts. So i'm after an alternative product.

Easylife Profito is the only fert based product i'm currently dosing.

James

Your glass tells you different ;) Need more P then that green glas may well not appear again or at least not as badly.

AC

Ahhh, that is down to a lack of P then. I've slowly been realising lately that Profito isnt quite the complete dosage as i was led to believe. I shall go get some P on sunday and possibly N also.

Unsure what to do. Change fert altogether, or get the complete KNP from EasyLife.

I'm going down the EI method i think. I've always wanted control over what i dose and the mixtures ect so i'm going for it. I'm on AE's site now and i'm having a mooch at the dry ferts. Are these the only two i need to buy to get NKP?

Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Phosphate

And my understanding of the ratio is 10:1:20 (Nitrogen 10 time the level of phosphate, potassium twice the nitrogen). I don't see an obvious addition to complete the mix, unless thats it :good: Do i need Potassium Sulphate or not. I can't believe how easily i forgot all this, i used to know it.

James

EDIT: Found out what i needed to know, no worries :)

Ordered Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate. I'm going on the basis that my plants will get enough Potassium via dosing of these two, so i shall see how that goes.

ignore the ratios. will lead you into trouble :)

Just mix up as per the standard EI. Then if you really want to adjust then start working down from there.

However this is EI. It is based on 'excess' dosing. therefore 'dialling it in' counteracts the philosophy really.

If you are wanting to get as lean as you can then try the PMDD+PO4 and then work up or down giving the plants time to respond each time until you get somewhere close.

Use the profito as trace as per the mthod instructions bothe for EI and for PMDD +PO4

AC

Rightio. Would you recommend mixing it up into one bottle, or doing one bottle for each substance as per the 500ml it states for each mix, or can both go into the same 500ml container.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back