Winter Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

squall7733

Reaction score
I'm looking into starting a new pond come next spring.

I want to build a very large one in my backyard. 10ftx10ft at least and possibly larger.

My question is after I have the tank fully stocked with koys, what do I do with them during the winter? Assuming the pond is too large to just cover up.

Will they be able to survive the winter in a hibernation state?

The problem I see is that I want to construct a bridge over the pond, with the legs of the bridge acctualy going into the water. So as you can tell it wouldnt be that easy to just cover it up.

If I want them to hibernate is there some concievable depth I must reach?

You shouldnt need to cover the pond in winter, the minimum depth idealy is about 4' for koi and they will survive okay. My pond goes from 4' down to about 6' and I have no probs with my koi in winter.

What are you using to line the pond as you may have problems having supports for the bridge going in to your pond.

How do you feed the koi? I mean, if Ice is covering the top?

Yea I wonder about that too.... how do i feel them?

Well I'm going to have to use a lining and bring it very high up to the top of the ledge where it meets the surface of the bridge so that I dont have leeking problems.. I'll use that tape to seal it around the legs.. It wont be easy but the reward will be worth it.

Between 10C and 4C they should only be fed whetgerm based foods as they cant break down animal fats because it is to cold and they are not moving as much. Below 4C they shouldnt be fed at all as they wont be moving much. My pond is raised up from the ground so with the airstones going in each corner and two filters returning into the two back corners it never freezes. The netting sags into the water if alot of snow lays on it but it doesnt last long.

Well I'm going to have to use a lining and bring it very high up to the top of the ledge where it meets the surface of the bridge so that I dont have leeking problems.. I'll use that tape to seal it around the legs.. It wont be easy but the reward will be worth it.

I would think the best way to go would be to work out where the legs will be going and put somethin under your liner to support the legs, and then a couple of small flagstones on top of the liner with rubber underneath to protect the liner and then stand the legs on to the flagstones. Any seal around the legs would be prone to failure as soon as the legs themselves start soaking in water.

Well the legs will be cemeted deep into the ground. I dont really see any other way to do it since I have to cement them in.

So to my understand come winter just feed them very little or none at all when it gets deep into winter. They must enter a hibernation state? Here in michigan we have freezing winters.

Thanks alot for your help everyone!

We dont feed our fish at all in the winter. Their metabolism will be very very slow and besides there will be enough natural food in there if they wanted to eat.

if you feed your fish in the winter when it is very cold then it is likely that the fish wont eat any of the food as they are hibernating and the food will just break down into waste products making your water not so good!

In Michigan you should consider going at least six feet deep in the center of the pond. The water will only freeze to a depth of about 32 inches, and the next 6 inches of water will be what is called an inversion layer which will insulate the water below to a constant temp of about 42 degrees. At that temperature the fish are in a state of torpor so you will not have to feed. You should also consider a small deicer of some sort to keep a small area of water exposed to the air. This will help with any gas transference. Something else you should be thinking about for late winter-early spring is that when the water temp reaches 43 degrees the bacteria (both good and bad) will begin to become active again and they will have a slight headstart on your fish.

Most reactions

Back