Will Upside Down Catfish Eat Rcs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sona98765

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon moderately planted tank and my Red Cherry Shrimp population is way too crazy so i was planning on introducing an upside down catfish to keep the shrimp population down a bit, will it work even if i feed him other food then the shrimp?
if it doesnt work with this type of catfish, then what type of small catfish will work? and if not a catfish, then what fish?
thx in advance :)

True Upside Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) are very social, just like Corydoras, so if you choose to get one then please get 6+ (even better 10+, I have 11). While I've never housed mine with shrimp, they have not knowingly touched Rabbit Snails or Ilyodon xantusi youngsters, so I would be surprised if RCS would be considered "live lunch."

What fish are already in this 40g? I don't want me or others to start suggesting fish that might eat fish tankmates too!

True Upside Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) are very social, just like Corydoras, so if you choose to get one then please get 6+ (even better 10+, I have 11). While I've never housed mine with shrimp, they have not knowingly touched Rabbit Snails or Ilyodon xantusi youngsters, so I would be surprised if RCS would be considered "live lunch."

What fish are already in this 40g? I don't want me or others to start suggesting fish that might eat fish tankmates too!

wow, 11? u sure must like ure catfish lol
nothing else really other than the RCS, and i no way want any other fish lol
do u know of any other catfish? or fish? thx

I had an upside down cat before... now after reading nobody's post, I'm starting to think mine was a fluke. The one I had got added to a mostly ram filled tank with some loaches and a few other types of fish. He ate everything. Untill an even meaner red tail catfish we got at a later date grew big enough to kill him. So since then ive always thought that upside down cats were relativley hungry, and mean.

And as far as lowering your RCS population, shrimp are at like the bottom of the food chain, so if they will fit in a fishes mouth... they will probably end up in there. Kuli loaches look cool, like to hide, and LOVE shrimp. One of my favorites. They might completley wipe out your shrimp though...

Most reactions

trending

Back