Will this work? DIY Betta dividers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ConnivingFerret

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I used a plastic mesh (the type used for knitting i guess? its where i found it in the craft section), hot glue, and magnets. to divide 2 10 gallons to accommodate my Bettas. (most of them are from walmart since they are getting rid of their fish) The tanks are very much a work in progress but i wanted to get them out of walmart. Any who i was hoping since it was a mesh they wouldnt really see each other well and curb aggression and let water still flow through. out of them all only two acknowledge the others existence and will flare up and charge the mesh a few times, flare up and leave. and then they will repeat it later... They arent strong enough to move the mesh but I'm worried about them harming themselves long term. thoughts?

The danger with that kind of mesh is that unless it is very securely attached it could leave gaps at the side or underneath. The gaps may look small but bettas are experts at squeezing though small gaps if they want to get to something on the other side. They will also jump over the divider if the water surface is near the the top of the divider.

The usual way to use craft mesh is with those plastic document spines https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NJURGA/?tag=
The spine is attached to the tank wall with silicone, superglue etc then the mesh slid down inside the strip. The bottom must also sit in the floor of the tank with the substrate up against the mesh. This holds the mesh rigid; it can't twist with the water flow and won't allow any gaps at the side.

If you hide the mesh with plants, they won't be as stressed as they won't be able to see each other as clearly, and this will also form a barrier between the fish and the mesh.

PS the mesh is plastic 'canvas' for cross stitch or half cross stitch, not knitting ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
but for
So I used a plastic mesh (the type used for knitting i guess? its where i found it in the craft section), hot glue, and magnets. to divide 2 10 gallons to accommodate my Bettas. (most of them are from walmart since they are getting rid of their fish) The tanks are very much a work in progress but i wanted to get them out of walmart. Any who i was hoping since it was a mesh they wouldnt really see each other well and curb aggression and let water still flow through. out of them all only two acknowledge the others existence and will flare up and charge the mesh a few times, flare up and leave. and then they will repeat it later... They arent strong enough to move the mesh but I'm worried about them harming themselves long term. thoughts?

that won't work....and unfortunately I speak from experience. these are very very determined fishies! I went on line and got hard plexiglass dividers, specifically sized for your tank. then I used aqueon aquarium sealer (clear) along the sides and bottom...don't spare the goo. I did this to two 20L, and a 10gallon. not optimum, have had one slip into another area and they both died from their wounds. had another one get his head stuck in one of the holes..:(but I have had no other problems for the past 6 years, and they all thrive in these tanks.
0129180632b.jpg

The two that are flaring are going to tire from stress and may get injured or sick long term. I think you should find another home for the red and white dumbo-eared betta on the right, he is too aggressive to share a tank.

229ECDAE-6698-42A3-A137-89A83336268F.jpeg
I made mine from the craft mesh you are talking about, a piece of black report cover, report cover spines, and silicone adhesive. You measure your size, cut all your pieces accordingly, place the black piece in between 2 craft mesh pieces, and then slide binder spines on. I used a little silicone glue (aquarium safe) on the spines to hold them. Then, I took a small screw driver and heated it slightly off a gas stove and melted some of the holes in mesh a little to make a little larger for water flow. Once done, I secured it in tank with the silicone adhesive. Working like a charm for over a year now. The black piece in between prevents fish from seeing each other. Total cost for 2 dividers less than $10.00.

Last edited:
naw, these guys have been together for over two years like that. I find that my bettas get lethargic, just sit, no interest in anything when put by themselves. there is more than enough room for them to separate, and for the most part, they don't run the fenceline, or flare at eachother. as a matter of fact they tend to rest either on the bottom or the top together. they are fat and happy. now, that being said, I do have three that are in completely separate tanks, two get really worked up, don't calm down and I am afraid for their safety, and Phobos is so afraid, that he would never come out, fat and happy by himself.
0121181809.jpg

naw, these guys have been together for over two years like that. I find that my bettas get lethargic, just sit, no interest in anything when put by themselves. there is more than enough room for them to separate, and for the most part, they don't run the fenceline, or flare at eachother. as a matter of fact they tend to rest either on the bottom or the top together. they are fat and happy. now, that being said, I do have three that are in completely separate tanks, two get really worked up, don't calm down and I am afraid for their safety, and Phobos is so afraid, that he would never come out, fat and happy by himself.View attachment 92694
My message was for the OP

Original poster...person who started the post.

OP is the person who started the thread. Not the people who respond, but the person that made the very first post.

Update,they still flaring at eachother but they are no longer trying to slam through the divider...im going to make it another layer thick to try and break up their line of sight more with what i have since i cant afford to buy new material... Work cut my hours to 8 hours a week... had to trade in my platies and some daphnia just to get a refill of flake food.... Is window screen aquarium safe? I think have an old window screen that i could lay over the existing divider

Depends on what the screen is made of but would probably rust.

You definitely do not want anything rusty in your tank if the separator is strong and has holes in it pretty small. Made out of plastic it would probably be fine i would just buy one personally but do what you want:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back