Will This Take The Weight?

bennett418

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Essex
Got this cabinet, its from Ikea, called OPPLI, I have had two tanks on it (both 19 gallon) for ages no problems, my new tank is 60 x 18 x 20 which works out quite a bit heavier, will it take the weight ? I am thinking of bracing the back of it to trianglulate it too.

Thing is its not solid wood so im not sure if it will take the weight.

If it wont what will!?!?!?

photos below.

thanks

dsc01229hn8.jpg


dsc01230kn6.jpg


dsc01231of9.jpg
 
looks solid, i quite fancy that :) i would use it , but i would go with the slight reinforcement ( without cutting into it at all)
are those speakers being used as a door stop??, :lol: your as bad as me i have an aqua one external holding my kitchen door open
 
Its only that chipboard/fibreboard stuff but I am worried about it colapsing with 400 odd litres of water in lol

Definetly going to reinforce though, nah there front spindles off of a Ford Popular, Long story!
 
Looks well strong enough to me but I would deffinately triangulate the back just to be safe.
 
Yeah getting some 6 x 1 tomorrow for along the bottom and top. Better safe than sorry!
 
I would actually use a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4" ply along the back to give it torsional strength...

When you say its not solid... what exactly is not solid? The vertical supports? Cause if thats the case, then I would not put a ~90G tank on it and expect it bare the 800lb load....

Better safe then sorry... so if you have any doubts, you can easily DIY a stand and then you can be confident it will hold

Ox :good:
 
The fiber/chipboard stuff that most of this kind of furniture is made of is not that strong and it does VERY poorly when exposed to water. I would NOT put an aquarium of that size on it.

Ask yourself, would you let five guys stand on top of this thing and trust it to hold them up?
 
The fiber/chipboard stuff that most of this kind of furniture is made of is not that strong and it does VERY poorly when exposed to water. I would NOT put an aquarium of that size on it.

Ask yourself, would you let five guys stand on top of this thing and trust it to hold them up?

+1

around half a tonne of weight on an ikea cabinet is not a good idea imo.
 
Thanks to chipboard stands I will never buy another wooden stand again. I build my own. Cheap chipboard with a pretty veneer will basically turn to oatmeal when it gets wet.

Years ago I had a filter overflow, getting one of the legs on a 55 gallon tank stand wet. That side became an inch shorter in a day, and made for a real long evening scrambling for a stand & switching the whole thing over.
 
It is quite strong though and I would be happy for 5 blokes to stand on it (with the wood on back) Think I am gonna box the whole back in the hole saw hole in it for plugs etc.

Other than that I will see.
 
It looks like a coffee table I have, and when you put pressure on it you can tell its chip/fibreboard. I wouldn't risk it, I'd build my own. B&Q will cut wood to size for you and its not difficult to create a suitable stand.
 
DIY side of things doesn't worry me, its just the fact i had 2 tanks on this for months and its been fine, hmmm dunno what to do now.

Im also thinking maybe a sheet of ply on top of it also give it some good thickness ??
 
You've had two 19 gallon tanks, you're moving to a 90 gallon tank. You're more than doubling the load on it. It's not the same thing.

A sheet of plywood on top won't do anything about the main problem, all your support is being provided by what amounts to sawdust mixed with glue.
 
No, that'll just redistribute the weight evenly - if the stand itself won't support the weight it won't make any difference. And your two tanks weigh less than half what you're talking about adding, right?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top