Will This Fish Live Happily?

Videl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, i have a 5 gallon tank with a power filter that is presently housing a male betta (Siamese Fighting Fish). My betta seems to be getting more sick everyday and am now thinking of housing coldwater goldfish as soon as my betta passes :( .
I am thinking of a fancy goldifish. Will a single bubble eye goldfish workout in a filtered 5 gallon tank. I have one ornament of a castle displayed in the tank. The ornament is kinda rough and sharp though. Should it be removed to happily house a bubble-eye goldish. Will the current, the filter makes cause any trouble to this fish and is there aanything i could do to lessen the current (by adding plants, smoother ornaments etc).
One more thing, how big do you thing a bubble-eye goldfish will grow in a 5 gal. Thankyou for any responses. :)

No, its not a celestial or a black moore goldfish. Its a bubble eye goldfish. You can search it up on the net as bubble eye goldfish. Although similar to celestial, you can see a slight difference. Here is one of many sites on the bubble eye fish.

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfi...bble/bubble.htm

Here is a site of the celestial fish.

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfi...lest/celest.htm

Notice that the bubble eye fish has a bubble protruding under its eyes, not the eye protruding from the bubble. :)

I know a lot of people love these fish, I just feel bad for them and worry they are gonna pop an eye.

From what I am finding they get to be 5 inches. Which wouldnt leave it any room to swim full grown.

What is wrong with your betta? Do you know what is killing it?

I don't think its a disease. It was alright in it 1/2 gallon tank but i felt sorry for it. I asked a friend for a 6 gallon tank. I bought a power filter to go with it. As soon as a dechloricated the water and put the water in the tank, i tested the Ph and altered the Ph down to nuetral 7. When the thermometer reading was the same as the 1/2 gallon tank, i scooped the betta out of it's small tank using a large clean cup and filled it half way with the old 1/2 gal aquarium water. I slowly filled the cup full with the new 6 gal water so that the fish could get used to the new water. After that, i placed the fish inside the new tank and new filter. I think the filter current is too strong for my betta and the filter keeps on reeling him in every hour or so. He is getting weaker and weaker although since the first few days in the new tank, he was fine and well. Is it the filter causing him fatigue and getting him sick or is it the new tank and filter with no beneficial bacteria yet? I plan to cycle the tank with this betta and hope for the best. Once the tank is cycled, i plan to get a bubble eye and might than transfer it to a bigger tank once it outgrows the 6 gal.

If the new setup is harming your betta why are you leaving it in there? Sounds to me you need to either turn off the filter, or put him back into his tiny home.

OK, i'll remove my Betta. Even though its swimming happily now, it might, in a few hours be reeled back into the filter. Better to be safe and put him back to its old tank. Thankyou for all your help. :)

The 6 gallon is very small for the goldfish and if the current is strong may well blow any fish off.
You could try making some sort of diy funnel and see if that helps with the flow.

As for the bubble eye then you would need to get rid of any sharp onament and even the corners of filters have been known to break the eye sacs, so you would need to fix sponge around those parts.

It sounds like you are going to buy one anyway and as long as you plan to upgrade within the next 6 months to a minimum 10 gallons then i dont see a problem as your filtration sounds adequate. You would have to do more in the way of tank manitenance for the fish but should work for the short term.
They also need warm water so a low tropical temperature and added aeration will be fine.
Feeding is harder for these fish because they cant see very well, so a slow falling granular food would be ideal.
If for any reason a bubble were to burst then they do grow back again.

i tested the Ph and altered the Ph down to nuetral 7.[/quotes]
Thats probably one of your main problems right there. The PH does not need to be altered, fooling with the PH will do more harm them good.

umm did you bother to let the tank cycle as it seems you didn't and the tank was lacking the benificial bacteria needed to keep fish happy

Most reactions

Back