Will Other Fish Eat my Mystery snails' Eggs???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Keywordkoda

Reaction score
I bought some mystery snails for my new tank because they are excellent cleaners since they like to munch on the left over food on top of my substrate. I knew they were breeders but I didn't know that they would breed *this* fast. I've had them for about 4 days now and they started laying eggs yesterday I have been scooping out the ones I find but I have poor eyesight and might not catch some eggs. Would my other fish possibly eat the eggs I don't find straight away or would they at least eat the babies??

The fish I have are Tetras, a Corydoras catfish, a Pleco, an African Dwarf Frog, a Peacock Eel, some Ghost Shrimp, a pair of Nerite Snails and a Coy Betta.

Would any of them go out of their way to munch on some snail eggs? What else could I do to control the snail populous in my tank.

Mystery (apple) snails lay eggs above the water line which makes them easier to remove. Any eggs that fall into the water don't usually hatch.

Where in the tank are the eggs that you've seen?

Your nerite snails might also breed if you have a male and female of the same species. But these eggs are attached firmly to surfaces and never hatch.

Your nerite snails might also breed if you have a male and female of the same species. But these eggs are attached firmly to surfaces and never hatch.
If you have a female nerite it can lay eggs irrespective of the presence of a male (but they still won't hatch :))

I bought some mystery snails for my new tank because they are excellent cleaners since they like to munch on the left over food on top of my substrate. I knew they were breeders but I didn't know that they would breed *this* fast. I've had them for about 4 days now and they started laying eggs yesterday I have been scooping out the ones I find but I have poor eyesight and might not catch some eggs. Would my other fish possibly eat the eggs I don't find straight away or would they at least eat the babies??

The fish I have are Tetras, a Corydoras catfish, a Pleco, an African Dwarf Frog, a Peacock Eel, some Ghost Shrimp, a pair of Nerite Snails and a Coy Betta.

Would any of them go out of their way to munch on some snail eggs? What else could I do to control the snail populous in my tank.
I have most of the same fish and they have no taste for snail eggs, I’m afraid.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back