Will it work?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some slim posts (plastic or bamboo) to use to anchor a bunch of anubias and Java fern, see if I can't make it look like I have some leafy trees in my 55 gallon tank.

I have tried some different stem plants (more than 120 stems over the last year, 75 of that in just the last couple months, either only about 10 still living plants to show for it), and can't seem to get them to flourish without a LOT of ferts, which is super hard on the wallet. On the other hand, I don't have any problems with anubias or most ferns. This seems like a potential solution. Put a small rock or weight on the stick (or whatever I use), and glue a bunch of plants to it. Then I can fertilize twice a week as usual, rather than almost every day.

Hey :)
Why plastic ? Natural roots such as spider or mopani or rock like lava, will give your tank much more style than plastic.

Anubias are "tank plant for dummies":lol: Love them : they come in so many leaf shapes, colors and sizes.

Sounds like a fun idea! I would love to see how they turn out if you try it.

Why plastic ?
Just sheer price point right now. Buying the anubias in bulk I can get 20 pieces for $70, the bamboo I already have and the plastic I can get cheap. I thought about driftwood or stone. But the stone is $3 per lb and the driftwood is $15 for a small piece.

Just sheer price point right now. Buying the anubias in bulk I can get 20 pieces for $70, the bamboo I already have and the plastic I can get cheap. I thought about driftwood or stone. But the stone is $3 per lb and the driftwood is $15 for a small piece.
Where are you getting the Anubias? I just paid $11 each at YourFishStuff, the big Butterfly variety & $5-6 for two others; can’t recall names. The Butterflies were big. I cut off the plastic plants I had in my foolish days & tied the live plants to the weighted bases.

I was thinking of getting some slim posts (plastic or bamboo) to use to anchor a bunch of anubias and Java fern, see if I can't make it look like I have some leafy trees in my 55 gallon tank.

I have tried some different stem plants (more than 120 stems over the last year, 75 of that in just the last couple months, either only about 10 still living plants to show for it), and can't seem to get them to flourish without a LOT of ferts, which is super hard on the wallet. On the other hand, I don't have any problems with anubias or most ferns. This seems like a potential solution. Put a small rock or weight on the stick (or whatever I use), and glue a bunch of plants to it. Then I can fertilize twice a week as usual, rather than almost every day.
I’ve given up on eBay stem cuttings. Prefer to pay more for rooted plants now.

Hey :)
Why plastic ? Natural roots such as spider or mopani or rock like lava, will give your tank much more style than plastic.

Anubias are "tank plant for dummies":lol: Love them : they come in so many leaf shapes, colors and sizes.
That’s my favorite! You have colored ones? Mine are all green.

Where are you getting the Anubias? I just paid $11 each at YourFishStuff, the big Butterfly variety & $5-6 for two others; can’t recall names. The Butterflies were big. I cut off the plastic plants I had in my foolish days & tied the live plants to the weighted bases.
From this place. My link button isn't working, so here is the url.

From this place. My link button isn't working, so here is the url.
A very big thank you!

Attachments

• 348FBC97-0BB8-426D-A701-7AB8AD4BACDC.jpeg
    348FBC97-0BB8-426D-A701-7AB8AD4BACDC.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 51

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back