Will Cherry Shrimp Be Able To Breed In This Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CherryDanio

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all. We currently have 10 juvenile cherry shrimp in one of our tanks and were wondering if they would breed. Note we don't really want/need them to breed (though it might be interesting if they do) so I don't plan on getting a shrimp only tank. The tank has 5 male guppies, 6 neon tetras, 2 apple snails, 10 cherry shrimp and 2 ghost shrimp that snuck in with the cherries tut tut. Everyone is getting on grand and there has been no nipping going on. Tank decor includes 1 fairly large piece of bogwood, 3 plastic plants and 2 moss balls. Stats are all spot on and we keep nitrates below 5ppm. Any chance of babies?

Babies will be born however they won't last I would think if your lucky 1-2 may survive on the moss balls. What type of ghost shrimp are they? Some are quite dangerous to other aquatica.

I'm afraid I'm not sure. They are much larger than the other though I suspect this is because they are older (not entirley sure how the breeder missed them thoguh he did warn me it might happen). I can remove them to another tank if you think that would be best. Thus far though they have shown absaloutly no interest in the cherry shrimp (actualy they have shown no interest in anything except dinner haha).

They are about 2-2.5 inches long and have pincers, not sure if you would call them claws. I will try and get some pics later this eve if I can. They have totally see through bodies with one dark line running down their backs. One of them is a little larger and appears to have khaki colours eggs :S She's been carrying those for a good couple of weeks.

Not sure could be a range of species need a pic to identify properly and they won't of coloured up yet due to stress if you only recently got them.

like i said in other posts while ppl were trieing to identify their unsusually large ghost shrimp, its probably a whisker shrimp, go look it up if your not sure what it is (sorry im lazy). Also, im pretty sure i heard that the ghost/whisker shrimp u have, needs brackish water to produce offspring.

Thanks for the replies. I think you might be right about them being whisker shrimp. We have had them for a couple of weeks now and all the cherry shrimp have gone from being very pale to post box red :) they look great and have grown too! Not really wanting to breed them so I think I will leave everyone where they are. That said If I notice any agro I will remove the ghost/whisker shrimp to another tank.

Most reactions

Back