Will Apple Snails Be Ok With A Turtle?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
i bought some apple snails yesterday, rather large ones. i stupidly listened to the lfs who assured me they will eat 'the green crap thats grows on the glass'

well i get up this morning, the algae is still there but my plants are not :angry:
that'll teach me not to research properely before buying.

so they have to be evicted from the community tank.

my only options are

guppy tank - unfortunatly this too is planted but not so much
turtle tank - only plants in there are ancharis/vallis which are for the turtle to eat so dont mind the snails eating them too
crayfish tank - thing the crayfish will eat them though!

im guessing not. turtles are quite aggressive.. if they hunt fish down they will probably hunt the snails, too lol

lol my turtle has never had a problem with attacking snails and hes just over a year old now (10" scl). he even does the mating dance to my smallest malaysian trumpet snails

Apple snails do eat algae but not all algae. I presume you have green spot algae which they wont eat. Nerite snails do though. It sounds like you have been sold Pomacea canaliculata which do eat live plants. Pomacea bridgesii do not.

Apple snails should not be kept with turtles as they will eat them (in fact the only other thing that should be is other turtles).

well they've been in 5 days and still ok! tank looks fab with them in and sid the turtle loves resting on them(!)

If they lasted 10 minutes it would be a world record..!

As ive already said ive had my turtle for over a year and hes always had fish, snails and shrimp in his tank and he has never bothered any of them. Its all down to the temperament of the turtle, and considering i raised mine with them in the tank he has got accustomed to them there and doesnt see them as food.

I'm surprised. I would have expected any terrapin to have a chew on the horns and soft parts. I guess an apple snail looks more like big yellow rock to a turtle that had never seen one before.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back